adopted russian tort. not eating

jededia

got this tort. offline from some kids that had been feeding him iceburg lettuce and just letting him roam in there house. He now has a nice enclosure and its about 85 in there and plenty of humidity. He is very active walking the enclosure and trying to climb out, we have been putting in the food that is healthy for him but he has not eaten anything since we got him almost a week ago. he just walks over top of his food like its not even there . any advice

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Sounds stressed out. I think it will take time for him to adjust to being in an enclosure. I would give him romaine with a little good stuff mixed in. Chop it all really small. Slowly reduce the romaine and increase the amount of good stuff. Is the enclosure as large as you can give him? He is used to having a lot of space it sounds like.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
I just went thru the same experience with my russian - he didn't eat for 12 days!! He did exactly the same thing as far as not eating and walking right over the food as if he didn't see it. I just kept putting out different leafy greens, hibiscus and flowers, squash, zuchini, opuntia, romaine, everyday something different he didn't pay any attention to it then he finally came around after 12 worrisome days! As long as his enclosure temps are good, and I soaked him everyday which he loved. I thought it was because of his new environment. Be patient and peristent -- he'll come around. I even received advice to soak in baby food like carrots or squash you would just put maybe 1/3 or 1/2 a jar is what I was advised, into his soaking water -- they apparently absorb the nutrients and I tried that right before the day I caught him finally eating!!! Oh Happy Day! :)