Adding buddies

k_fairfield

Hello I have a spur thighed tortoise in a 4ft by 3ft table that I built and know someone that is getting rid of 3 others. They're all around the same size as the one I have but not sure if the table I have would be adequate space. They're just juveniles at around 3 inches right now

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Torts are loners they don't want or need friends! They will start bulling each other it will start with looks than control of the food dish and Or of the water dish . Then you'll notice one is alittle smaller then the others . And then one may die for what you think is no reason ! But good luck it's your dession!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No the table is not big enough. If the one you have now is an adult, the table isn't big enough for him either. Also, like what Grandpa Turtle 144 said, tortoises are loners and they will bully and fight and will need to all live alone unless you have a group of one male with a bunch of females and a big yard area to house them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, hey! If you want more tortoises, get them. You just have to set them up individually. You might get away with keeping the new ones together for a while, maybe longer if they can go outside to a bigger space. But just keep in mind that eventually each will need his own indoor space.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Aside from the torts as pairs debate, the main issue is that of quarantine. The new torts may have some type of bacteria or a parasite that they could transfer to your tort. Or perhaps your tort you had originally had an RI he could give it to your three new torts. So it would be best to keep them separate for the first several months anyway.

Kaliman1962

No the table is not big enough. If the one you have now is an adult, the table isn't big enough for him either. Also, like what Grandpa Turtle 144 said, tortoises are loners and they will bully and fight and will need to all live alone unless you have a group of one male with a bunch of females and a big yard area to house them.
where in chicago are you? i'm in northern burbs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I have a spur thighed tortoise in a 4ft by 3ft table that I built and know someone that is getting rid of 3 others. They're all around the same size as the one I have but not sure if the table I have would be adequate space. They're just juveniles at around 3 inches right now

I think your table is large enough for 4 three inch juveniles, but you will have to upgrade pretty soon to 4x8' or larger. If these three tortoises have been living together with no contact with any other tortoises for 6 months or more, that is in essence a quarantine period. I would run fecal checks on all four tortoises and go from there.

Even if they do get along now, they might not get along in another year when they all start reaching maturity. If you end up with more than one male, you might have to separate all of them into individual enclosures. If that is not an option, then I wouldn't get the new ones.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, I have leopards and a Russian. They live in a heated tortoises shed and outside in the summer.