Accidentally ran over tortoise. Need help.

Krunal Rindani

Today, I accidentally ran over one of my tortoise. The car was at a very slow speed (I was parking it in my driveway). I realized that there was some sort of a bump and so I immediately reversed the car. I got out to find my tortoise completely fine (No cracking on his shell was visible), however I noticed a small cut at the edge of his tail. I carried him, and put him a water tank. I could see some blood around the cut. Also, I think that one side of his shell is lower than the other (I don't know if this happened after I ran over him or it was from before). I am really worried. Please help. Thanks in advance. If I have posted it to the wrong section, I'm sorry. This is my first time here.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Today, I accidentally ran over one of my tortoise. The car was at a very slow speed (I was parking it in my driveway). I realized that there was some sort of a bump and so I immediately reversed the car. I got out to find my tortoise completely fine (No cracking on his shell was visible), however I noticed a small cut at the edge of his tail. I carried him, and put him a water tank. I could see some blood around the cut. Also, I think that one side of his shell is lower than the other (I don't know if this happened after I ran over him or it was from before). I am really worried. Please help. Thanks in advance. If I have posted it to the wrong section, I'm sorry. This is my first time here.
If the bloods minor it's not life threatening, can you post a pic? I'm not sure how a shell can shift positions, that's probably not very likely since the shell is fused with the underlying skin... There are probably no "fixes" if the shell changed place slightly, good luck :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Sorry under these conditions. I would have to guess, without seeing any pics, that if the shell looks shifted, there would be more damage then to just the tail. I think,you should find a reptile vet and have some X-rays done to see what may have happened internally. If slight believe doing from the tail, keep it clean and use paper towel substrate until it has healed. Good luck, sure hope everything turns out okay. Now I would also work on fencing off the tort area from the car area, you were just very lucky this time, maybe.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I would definitely take him to the vet to make sure there is no internal damage.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Time for a vet visit :) I;m not sure how the shape could have 'shifted' without there being very bad crushing/blood. If it's just his, tail, a little peroxide should help it start to heal!

Krunal Rindani

Thanks everyone for your replies. I won't be able to send pictures as I'm away. I don't think the shell has 'shifted', it's just that I feel it isn't the way I felt it was earlier (Might be only a psychological problem :p). I saw a smudge of blood where the shell and the skin meet near the legs and tail, but it isn't visible now. The last time I checked, he was doing alright. It's raining here, and he likes to stay tucked under my basketball or a plastic bag. I don't know why. My car weighs around 1000 kilos (A lot less than some of the other cars) so I believe that could have been one of the reasons why the little guy wasn't hurt bad.

Off Topic: I have Turtle Food (It says on the box that it works with all reptiles), but when my tortoise eats it, he excretes a lot. His waste is also smellier than usual. He doesn't eat any green vegetables or leaves, so I have to feed him moist whole-wheat bread. He loves to eat it (He also eats his poop at times). Is what I'm feeding him wrong? Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate it :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks everyone for your replies. I won't be able to send pictures as I'm away. I don't think the shell has 'shifted', it's just that I feel it isn't the way I felt it was earlier (Might be only a psychological problem :p). I saw a smudge of blood where the shell and the skin meet near the legs and tail, but it isn't visible now. The last time I checked, he was doing alright. It's raining here, and he likes to stay tucked under my basketball or a plastic bag. I don't know why. My car weighs around 1000 kilos (A lot less than some of the other cars) so I believe that could have been one of the reasons why the little guy wasn't hurt bad.

Off Topic: I have Turtle Food (It says on the box that it works with all reptiles), but when my tortoise eats it, he excretes a lot. His waste is also smellier than usual. He doesn't eat any green vegetables or leaves, so I have to feed him moist whole-wheat bread. He loves to eat it (He also eats his poop at times). Is what I'm feeding him wrong? Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate it :D
That diet isn't good at all, :( you can only feed tortoise food (turtle food is too high in protein!).Whole wheat bread is basically useless.Feed greens on the diet & food section! Put greens on the whole wheat bread and hand feed :) he will learn to like them. Good luck!

Krunal Rindani

That diet isn't good at all, :( you can only feed tortoise food (turtle food is too high in protein!).Whole wheat bread is basically useless.Feed greens on the diet & food section! Put greens on the whole wheat bread and hand feed :) he will learn to like them. Good luck!
Thanks Abdulla! I hand feed, but those smart guys eat the bread and just ignore the greens! Also, the don't eat if they aren't in water. Thanks again for your prompt reply!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What kind of tortoises are these? It matters so we can give you proper advice. Please post a picture.

Eating in the water is typical of water turtles. They do well on a diet of pellets, with additions to the diet.

No turtle or tortoise should be fed bread. If you don't feed it, they can't eat it. We can help you provide a good diet once we know what sort of critter you have.

Krunal Rindani

What kind of tortoises are these? It matters so we can give you proper advice. Please post a picture.

Eating in the water is typical of water turtles. They do well on a diet of pellets, with additions to the diet.

No turtle or tortoise should be fed bread. If you don't feed it, they can't eat it. We can help you provide a good diet once we know what sort of critter you have.
Sorry for the late reply. I have been a bit bust lately. I am away and so I won't be able to post a picture now, but I found one on the internet, and mine look almost the same. One is about as big as a large hand, while the other is half of the bigger one's size.

Attachments

• krasnoyhaya_4erepaha.jpg
    krasnoyhaya_4erepaha.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 55

Krunal Rindani

That's a picture of a red eared slider, an aquatic turtle.
Either you are amazing, or I am incredible dumb. That's what my small one looks like. The bigger one has the same 'pattern' of skin, but his shell is a bit different I think (Could be the same. I don't know anything about turtles). The funny thing is that neither of them like to stay in water. Is that normal? They also do their best to go away from rain. What's a suitable diet for them you think? Thanks in advanced. I really appreciate it!

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Being rude calling people dumb, isn't very nice! Your asking for help. The people here would like to help you and the turtle.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Please post a picture of the other one so we can identify it, too. Then will offer advice.

Krunal Rindani

Being rude calling people dumb, isn't very nice! Your asking for help. The people here would like to help you and the turtle.
I meant to say that I am dumb, not anyone offering advice. I thank everyone who is willing to help me and my turtles, and it would be wrong on my part if I don't appreciate their efforts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Read it again, Taza...he calls himself incredibly dumb for not recognizing the turtle as a turtle and not a tortoise.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Krunal Rindani

Please post a picture of the other one so we can identify it, too. Then will offer advice.

Can't find a picture on my device right now. I will be returning home tomorrow, and will only be able to upload some pictures then. Sorry :(

I let them roam free outside my house (there isn't a big risk of them going out as I have walls and a steel door separating my house from the street. To feed them, I put them in a bowl of water (Normal tap water, not hot not cold), and put food.