About to be a new sri lankan star tortoise parent.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hi all.
I'm about to be a new tortoise parent.
I joined here before I get one to find out about best ways to give a best start to a young little tortoise and what to buy and from where to buy things economically.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I don't have Stars but I believe they are raised the same or close to the same as leopards and sulcatas
@Tom can help to confirm. Not sure if there is a caresheet for them or not. Check under the species section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all.
I joined here before I get one to find out about best ways to give a best start to a young little tortoise and what to buy and from where to buy things economically.
Hello and welcome!

First and foremost, be careful where you buy. Many breeders start them too dry. Be sure your baby was soaked daily, kept in warm humid conditions (Not outside all day.), fed a wide variety of foods that didn't come from the grocery store, and kept on a damp substrate. If not, buy one somewhere else. If they don't know, or can't or won't answer these questions, DON'T buy from them. Buy from a breeder or seller that starts them correctly in warm humid monsoon conditions.

Here is some info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

These are labeled for sulcatas, but baby care is the same for both species:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

And this one is @Markw84 's excellent care sheet for stars:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

These threads should help get you started, but please feel free to ask lots of questions.

Antoni

Hi all.
Welcome! I was interested in stars as well, but since i feel that i need more experience, i figured to start and get experience on a more affordable yet still freaking awesome leopard tortoise. The care is very similar. Tom posted some links of the care sheet. I highly recommend preparing the enclosure first before getting it. Ask us any questions and we’ll do our best to help. Once it’s set all you need left is ur tort, food and pictures to share of your beautiful babies! Have fun!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@wellington @Tom @Grandpa Turtle 144 @Antoni @Yvonne G @RosemaryDW

Hi all thanks for replies

I found a 2ft x 4 ft tray with 7" high walls. I will get it if it's big enough but I'm out of ideas on how to make a lid for it to keep the humidity.
According to Mark, I have to keep it closed so the humidity doesn't escape
If you add the recommended 3-4" of substrate, the walls will be too short. Also, a low sided tray is about the worst possible way to go as far as maintaining heat and humidity. You need a closed chamber with the lighting and heating inside. Stars especially like it hot. With higher electrically generated heat come more dryness, making a closed chamber even more necessary.

Antoni

@wellington @Tom @Grandpa Turtle 144 @Antoni @Yvonne G @RosemaryDW

Hi all thanks for replies

I found a 2ft x 4 ft tray with 7" high walls. I will get it if it's big enough but I'm out of ideas on how to make a lid for it to keep the humidity.
According to Mark, I have to keep it closed so the humidity doesn't escape
Higher walls is recommended. Post a pic of what you have, that will give us a better odea of how to help u improve it and trap the heat and humid for ur enclosure

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Hi all.

Ditto to what everyone said about following the care guides and using a closed chamber setup.

But.....I would like to mention the importance of making sure you know the history of the tortoise.

Sri Lankans tend to be significantly more expensive than their mainland Indian star counterparts. At the hatchling stage it is impossible to visually determine if they are indeed the real deal. This allows sellers to falsely advertise the hatchlings as something they are not. Pictures of the parents, including size and weight measurements, and details about their lineage is important. Names like Larry Gaugler, Bill Zovickian, Jon Greigus and others are synonymous with original Sri Lankan lineages found in the states. I'm not saying the tortoise you are getting isn't the real deal, but I recommend taking the time to connect all the dots before spending the extra money.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Wow I love that. I can never find anything like that in the U.K. for that kind of price.
i searched "raised garden bed" on amazon uk and found some results worth checking out.
also search "garden bed cover" and I've seen some greenhouses tht looks like a good enclosure for a tortoise