A really neat 4 toe

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
This bad boy climbed into the enclosure where all the relinquished box turtles are. I inquired from Gerard if it was possibly hypo. He says no. Pits hard to tell by the pictures(in the shade and with an iPad soooo yeah) but in real life He's extremely light skinned and has a very orange marginal hue. Also he has the most skirted marginal scutes I have ever seen in any box turtle. Anyways. He's pretty cool.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the way Boxies almost always look so grumpy, maybe like Yvonne said, old, but old and grumpy:mad:. He is pretty though. I think you have some pretty spoiled turtles if they are climbing in:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think your ornata is just a very old turtle.
Very old indeed. He's super friendly too. The others here (not gonna lie I have no idea how many there are) are quite shy. But again we rarely pick them up. They're almost self sustaining. I'll catch them hunting worms, bugs early in the morning and eating dandelions in the pen.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think he was using poetic license.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have never heard anyone use the term 4 toed box turtle.
Really? I use it all the time. My first chelonians I had when I was 4-5 were 3/4 toe. Learned it from a Dallas zoo keeper when I went there as a kid. I guess instead of them confusing kids as 3 toe or ornate they just used 3 toe or 4 toe. :)

Lance Robinson

Love box turtles. Sadly I haven't seen a wild one since I was a kid (was also my very first reptile). Thats quite a specimen you have.