A Rather Odd Decor Q...

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone put quartz geodes or other semi-precious rocks/minerals in their habitat for decor? Size wise, I've attached photos below. They are fairly big and all natural of course. My tortoise is 4 1/2 weeks old and will be picked up tomorrow. Surprisingly, I couldn't find any succulents or aloe at the nursery today so I abstained. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493181957.230331.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493181979.983310.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my main concern with those is how crumbly they are. if a tortoise chews on it which is possible How likely is it to crumble into smaller pieces

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
my main concern with those is how crumbly they are. if a tortoise chews on it which is possible How likely is it to crumble into smaller pieces

The ones pictured are solid. I've tried scratching/breaking it apart with my fingers as hard as I can and got nothing. This was after a wash, too. I have some other larger specimens of amethyst I'd like to throw in there too.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I would avoid both white and colourful rocks that you don't know are safe to be eaten because they will likely get chewed on. I wouldn't be worried about pure quartz, but if I didn't know what other minerals were part of the geode, I would put them out of tortoise reach. Tortoises - presumably in a search for calcium - bite white things. They also seem to bite fruit-coloured things. If there is any part that can be flaked off, a determined tortoise could potentially ingest some.