A, not so pleasant, Introduction...

Clemmys

Hello All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum. I'm a recent transplant to Florida from Pennsylvania and, as a matter of fact when I was looking to buy a home here, it was the discovery of a Gopher Tortoise den in the back yard that was the determining factor for the house that I chose. However, It didn't take me very long to discover that the occupant of that den had abandoned it or why that was the case. The previous owner had situated a shed so close to the den that the roof shed directly into the entrance of the den when it rained. That was the first of what now have been many examples of how indifferently Gopher Tortoises are treated here.

Since then, I've seen at least ten Gopher Tortoises run over on Route 95 or Route 1 or on one of the other roads near my home. One of those, a large adult female was displaced from her den when a guy who was "flipping a house" two doors away from mine installed a fence that blocked access to her den. A few days later that tortoise was dead on Route 1. Another smaller tortoise was buried in it's den by the same guy in the back yard of that house. I've also been told of a guy that lived directly across the road from the "flipper" that "filled in 5 dens that were located on his property. As I note the amount of land clearing for new construction in the area where I live, I'm certain that they aren't the only culprits. I can't imagine that long term survival of The Gopher Tortoise is possible in an environment of such indifference.

To finish...

When I'm asked why I'm so fascinated with turtles my reply is, "I've been into turtles since I saw my first batch of hatchlings in a plastic bin at the local Murphy's 5 & 10 in Pittsburgh. I was five or six years old at the time. I've just never lost that initial fascination." I'm now sixty-three years young and I'm still fascinated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Clemmys, and welcome to the Forum. You're among many, many people just like you, who love turtles and tortoises. Besides the wild gophers, do you have a turtle or tortoise of your own? This is BO and SO, my biggest tortoises:

BO and SO 10-13-16.jpg

But I also have several desert tortoises, a close relation to your wild tortoises.

Clemmys

Hi Clemmys, and welcome to the Forum. You're among many, many people just like you, who love turtles and tortoises. Besides the wild gophers, do you have a turtle or tortoise of your own? This is BO and SO, my biggest tortoises:

View attachment 198149

But I also have several desert tortoises, a close relation to your wild tortoises.
Hello Yvonne. No, I don't currently have any turtles or tortoises. I've had many turtles over the years and have bred many of those, including NA Wood Turtles, Spotted Turtles, Blandings, Box, and Musk Turtles. Years ago I acquired two Leopard Tortoise hatchlings from CA that I raised until they weighed over 7 lbs. each before I donated them to the Columbus Zoo because they were growing so fast that I knew that it wouldn't be long before I couldn't provide the appropriate environmental conditions.

I do miss having turtles and/or tortoises, but now that I've retired and enjoy traveling I can't provide for them as need be. I am hoping that one of those that reside in the area will take up a residence on my property.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Clemmys
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485537396.566167.jpg
Yup that's the USA ! I'd sell my soul for a trio and they just kill them ! Shaking my head

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Clemmys, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Very sad stuff.:(
I despair.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello Yvonne. No, I don't currently have any turtles or tortoises. I've had many turtles over the years and have bred many of those, including NA Wood Turtles, Spotted Turtles, Blandings, Box, and Musk Turtles. Years ago I acquired two Leopard Tortoise hatchlings from CA that I raised until they weighed over 7 lbs. each before I donated them to the Columbus Zoo because they were growing so fast that I knew that it wouldn't be long before I couldn't provide the appropriate environmental conditions.

I do miss having turtles and/or tortoises, but now that I've retired and enjoy traveling I can't provide for them as need be. I am hoping that one of those that reside in the area will take up a residence on my property.

How nice that would be. I've been interested in turtles and tortoises for over 50 years, and I've never seen one in the wild (not counting the turtles on the logs in the river. I mean, a tortoise wandering around in the neighborhood)

RosieTortoise

I used to live in Florida and it was sooooo frustrating to see how gopher tortoises are treated there. I loved them, it was fascinating to see them in their native habitats. It's good to see someone that cares!