A New Update on red foot types

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Ok thanks I thought these were Colombian. These torts belong to the breeder that I bought a hatchling from now a yearling. The tort that i got is called a "blonde redfoot" . My tort's shell is very light in color and doesn't look like these torts at all. Its carapace hasn't changed. Is there such thing as blonde redfoot? I heard that the lighter carapace torts were Colombian. I don't know I'm just curious.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Adorable torts! GOD bless.

Take good care of them.

susanna valerio

Yep still have all of them. The northerns variety as seen in the Guyana/Suriname Wasteband or Hourglass when males reach large sizes. The venezuelan male didnt tend to wasteband as much as the others. But they are much older specimens. I notice the very different subtle features for sure. its not a key to identifying them at all. But I usually notice the venezuelans have circle scutes above the eyes, surinames have very pointy noses and solid yellow scutes and red legs, and guyana tend to have mixed orange cheek scutes and not as an abrupt pointy nose. Its very odd because the guyana/suriname territory is really the exact same. The border is only manmade. But I do notice a tiny difference in them. Either way I keep all my locales together, and breed these guys that way for my standards so.

And Barb. Thats Claude hes very old and very large. Claudette(the female) is 11"

susanna valerio

Can you please give information on food habit of Red Foot tortoises? do they eat every day? do they need calcium? how much food?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Can you please give information on food habit of Red Foot tortoises? do they eat every day? do they need calcium? how much food?
Redfoots are very opportunistic in the wild. They consume a broad variety of broad leaf plants and fruits. However most the fruits they eat are nothing like what is offered here in the United States. Anything with high fiber is best. Dandelions, weeds, greens, red tip, mushrooms, squash, zucchini, boiled eggs and worms is primarily what we feed ours. Every day, and twice a day in the summer. They're outside during the summer in large enclosures so get plenty of exercise and temperatures are suitable for rapid digestion. Tortoises being cold blooded will slow down if the core temperature is below 80 degrees Fahrenheit. So summer always makes them move about and consume more. But this should be coincided with large enclosures and adequate excercise. Pin doors is quite easy to over feed. So keep that in mind. Calcium is necessary for sure. Offer cuddle bones, and sprinkle calcium powder twice to three times a week on the food. If kept indoors use calcium with d3 if outdoors no need for d3, just calcium. As the sun will take care of the d3 absorption.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Redfoots are very opportunistic in the wild. They consume a broad variety of broad leaf plants and fruits. However most the fruits they eat are nothing like what is offered here in the United States. Anything with high fiber is best. Dandelions, weeds, greens, red tip, mushrooms, squash, zucchini, boiled eggs and worms is primarily what we feed ours. Every day, and twice a day in the summer. They're outside during the summer in large enclosures so get plenty of exercise and temperatures are suitable for rapid digestion. Tortoises being cold blooded will slow down if the core temperature is below 80 degrees Fahrenheit. So summer always makes them move about and consume more. But this should be coincided with large enclosures and adequate excercise. Pin doors is quite easy to over feed. So keep that in mind. Calcium is necessary for sure. Offer cuddle bones, and sprinkle calcium powder twice to three times a week on the food. If kept indoors use calcium with d3 if outdoors no need for d3, just calcium. As the sun will take care of the d3 absorption.
Hi Kelly. I don't suppose you have a Colombian, Venezuelan and a Suriname to show the difference in plastron patterns please.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi Kelly. I don't suppose you have a Colombian, Venezuelan and a Suriname to show the difference in plastron patterns please.
Indeed I do. It will be a few weeks before I'm back down at the property to snap photos though. So I may forget. Those clads have very similar plastron so though.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Indeed I do. It will be a few weeks before I'm back down at the property to snap photos though. So I may forget. Those clads have very similar plastron so though.
Ok. I'll remind you I'm a couple of weeks.
I was hoping you could show me the minor differences in the typical localities.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Those localities typically represent a cal pattern and colors. The shape of shell are a bit different too.

Venezuelan has a watermelon type shape that sloped off the hind. Makes will wasteband or hourglass slightly. Suriname/Guyana will wasteband/hourglass greatly. Colombians are watermelon shaped too but typically represent solid orange/yellow scales on both head and front and hind limbs. They can also get a brown or chocolate hue to dark grey coloration on the shell and males don't wasteband near as much as Suriname/Guyana. Guyana will sometimes have yellow heads and red legs. But never yellow legs and yellow heads. Venezuelans can have a pink-orangish red scale typical of Fromt, hind and head. But sometimes whitish and yellowish cheek scales.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Any thoughts on the "yellow" red foots supposedly from Columbia? I have 2.2 of these. Two of them only have yellow markings and two have orange/yellow markings but none have any red markings.

Craig

There are yellow-only RF's from a particular area of Colombia. There are also 'normal' RF's near by. The orange ones may be interbreeding between the two populations.
http://hlogic.net/images/allyellow.jpg
http://hlogic.net/images/noredzone.jpg
http://hlogic.net/images/WhiteYellow.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
My experience with imported Colombian animals started in 1973. The white and yellow colored head scales (as in HLogic's images) was a common sight.
In addition, other animals that were similarly from Colombia might have heads with multiple shades of orange and yellow---or even green! Kind of a fruit salad look.
But as HLogic indicates, Colombia has at least two distinct populations of red-footed tortoises.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
One explanation for the difference in color is that the yellow one may be a Yellow-footed tortoise.
Uniquely colored redfoot, not a yellowfoot.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My experience with imported Colombian animals started in 1973. The white and yellow colored head scales (as in HLogic's images) was a common sight.
In addition, other animals that were similarly from Colombia might have heads with multiple shades of orange and yellow---or even green! Kind of a fruit salad look.
But as HLogic indicates, Colombia has at least two distinct populations of red-footed tortoises.
@cdmay

Green, cool, by any chance do you have or know of any images of green skin/scale redfoots?

On real film slides I have a picture of a Impressed Tortoise with the semi transparent part of the scutes that are normally a golden-horn color, green. I though it was algae, but nope it's was green.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Vern would welcome guestimates on his origins. He's 9 years old, CB, 12lbs and about 13 inches.

thanks! I need to get decent pics of the others still.
He's cute, and he knows it. Adorable little dude.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
He's our 'shell puppy' He just wants to be where the people are, no matter what. He would probably follow us into a blizzard if we let him.
He sounds like one of my pets.

Your profile picture is great.

Piña

nyc
This is a great post, thanks to everyone that's added to it. The first 4 pages though.....it's Colombia, not Columbia