A few questions about my Russian tort

LauRhi

Me and my partner are first time owners, and although we did extensive research before getting our little tort, I've got a few questions/worries!

Hayaku was a year old, we got him from http://www.thetortoiseshop.com in June, and we've loved every second of having him! We keep him in a tortoise table, and would get him out in the garden in the warmer months. Now we watch him race around the flat instead as it's too chilly outside.

My first question is about food. He doesn't seem to be eating very much at the moment, and has always found it quite difficult to eat, as in it usually takes him between 2-8 attempts to actually get his mouth around something. So sometimes, I'll hold the leaves for him. When I do, he scoffs it down like he hasn't eaten for weeks! I don't know how I can make it easier for him to eat on his own without me holding them there for him. Any suggestions?

Secondly, it's getting pretty chilly, and I'm a little worried about hibernation! (I know its a way away yet, but I like to be prepared) Despite all my research, I still feel completely lost, is there anyone who could give me the best run through of what to do and when?

Any other general advice would be terrific, thanks!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
HI and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Please post pics of your tort: this will enable the experienced members to help you more. Have you read the 'Beginners' Thread' and the different care sheets? Those too, could help you in the meantime.

And please do NOT panic! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As for hibernation/brumation it's not highly suggested until you have owned your tort for at least a year. So keep him up. You don't ever have to do it if you don't want too.
As for lack of eating, quite a few have slowed down as temps been falling off a little, mine included.
As for having a hard time eating, post us a pic of his mouth from straight on, from top and from bottom. If all looks okay, then place his food in a pile and keep piling it up as he eats. It makes it easier for ones that seem to have this same problem

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I just remembered: torts take time to adapt to a new place, new home, new climate new owner ant the rest. PATIENCE is needed here.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
to make it easier for him to eat his food you can always chop it up up the food in smaller pieces so its easier to eat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you located?

Are you using a cfl type UV bulb?

I would not let him run loose in your flat. They frequently find novel and unexpected ways to injure or kill themselves that way, even when the people profess to be very careful and watch them constantly. Tortoises need to be in a proper habitat that is designed, set-up and safe just for them. If he needs more room than the enclosure provides, make the enclosure bigger.

This might help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is generally too cold on the floor as well as the above mentioned dangers. If he is not warm enough, he will not eat. Pictures may help us identify if he has beak problems. Hibernating is not necessary.