Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
rUSSIANS 9-24-16.jpg

It's getting cold here and those sneaky Russians bury themselves before I can gather them up to put them into the hibernaculum, so when I saw a couple of them out, sunning this a.m. I took advantage of it and gathered them all up. I was able to find them all!

You're looking at 1.4. The male is the smaller on with the flared carapace in the middle. He was kept in a 10 gallon aquarium the whole time the previous owners had him, and fed lettuce, so he's slightly deformed.

I was only keeping the Kasbekistan (??) Russians, but when the two bigger ones came to my Rescue, I couldn't resist keeping them too. EgyptianDan no longer peruses our Forum here, and I don't know anyone else who can recognize the difference between the subspecies or clades or whatever it is, so I guess I'm back to keeping a mixed bag of Russians.​

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Only 5 of them? I thought you had more.....Who is the greenish one that you said was your favorite Russian? they all under the sun that I can't tell them apart in color.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I actually have two favorites, the two up top. The one in the top left corner was my biggest girl when I got her, so she was my favorite. I've since gotten two more that are as big or bigger, but she's still one of my favorites. The other is next to her on the right. When she came to me she was just an absolutely perfect specimen; perfect shape and condition. She has since made a couple scrapes in the keratin (down to the bone) by scooting under the cement, so she's no longer in perfect condition, but she's still almost perfect and another favorite.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Those are some good looking Russians. It's a good example of how different they can look from each other.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you forgot to say the Russian male is the one with the big smile on his face considering how many females he's surrounded with. :)