A Belated Introduction

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I think I have not given an introduction of myself as I was not comfortable with it for a long time. If you read, you would understand.

I have a pair of Star Tortoises which should be 20 years old now. A male and a female. The male is smaller in size and he mounted her often. But the eggs has never hatched so far since 2008 when I think the first egg arrived.

My mother bought the pair of star tortoises at a time when pet shops are openly selling them. Many people bought them but most did not successfully raise them up Most died within 1 to 2 years. During that time, Internet has just started and there isn't information on how to raise tortoises.

The pet store said all you need is to feed french beans and vegetable leaves. I didn't even have a water tray until like 5 years ago. I could not find a suitable low height water tray for a long time. I did soak the tortoise from time to time. I had a crisis about 10 years ago when the female tortoise is not eating for a few weeks and I suspect she has problems with eggs laying as I saw egg yolk discharged. I was feeling very sad. Luckily I managed to find a vet. The vet asked me to give injections for her. I was told they contained multi vitamins. I was also told to provide calcium supplements and the vet, an authorised seller of Mazuri, introduced me to this food. I was also told to provide more soaking during this period.

The injection was introduced at the side of the tail. I am quite familiar with giving injections as I needed to take care of my father by giving him Iron supplements injections as he is a kidney dialysis patient. I was very happy I managed to nurse my female tortoise back to health. I think the Mazuri did help to make my tortoise more healthy

Both my parents has gone to a better place and I am taking care of the tortoises now. I am very surprised I manage to raise them to 20 years old. I really love them and the male tortoise likes to climb over my feet when I let them out to walk.

I am still doing my best to hatch my star tortoises eggs. I just had one on mothers day 2017

Sales and keeping of all forms of tortoise are disallowed here except for red ear sliders. Hence you see why I am hesitant to share more. I am not sure when it happened but it was some years after my mum bought them. If today I am not a tortoise owner, I wouldn't take steps to import them using illegal means as they are endangered. As a result. our pet shops here don't really carry reptile related items. And I need to import my Mazuri.

I also have a female red ear slider. I think she should be 20 years old too. For 18 years I thought she is a boy. Then I watched some educational Youtube videos and learned that she is a girl. I have been keeping red ear sliders since I was a boy. I may share more about the red ear sliders next time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you feel safer. With almost 100% certainty, members would never be a problem for you. However, you never know who is watching from the side lines, so you being cautious is very understandable.

Taco*mom

Warmest welcome to the forum!

Now I know what country you are from. And I believed some pet stores in your country sells mazuri now. It has been out of stock where I live (Indonesia). Luckily I have enough supplies until July when it should start to come in again. In anticipation, I have searched mazuri in your country, mainly googled them and emailed the pet stores who stated they sell them.. and some of them have it in stock. I travel a lot to your country. So in case I need some, I can pick it up in your country.

I admire your love for your tortoises and your effort to give them the best care! Keep digging or asking questions here. You are in the right place. These people here are like family. So helpful and supportive.

Wish you the best of luck with your stars!

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Warmest welcome to the forum!

Now I know what country you are from. And I believed some pet stores in your country sells mazuri now. It has been out of stock where I live (Indonesia). Luckily I have enough supplies until July when it should start to come in again. In anticipation, I have searched mazuri in your country, mainly googled them and emailed the pet stores who stated they sell them.. and some of them have it in stock. I travel a lot to your country. So in case I need some, I can pick it up in your country.

I admire your love for your tortoises and your effort to give them the best care! Keep digging or asking questions here. You are in the right place. These people here are like family. So helpful and supportive.

Wish you the best of luck with your stars!
Wow how did you know the country I am in? I must go into low profile mode...

Taco*mom

Wow how did you know the country I am in? I must go into low profile mode...
I'd like to reply, but afraid that it would reveal even more. I think as long as you don't reveal more than this, you should be ok.