6 mo old Eastern box turtle won't eat

tiffew

We have had our 6 month old eastern box turtle for two weeks and he has only eaten one worm the entire time. He is in a Rubbermaid container with moist terrarium moss, a uv light and red light for warmth at night, he has a shallow water bowl, two places to hide, and we have soaked him a few times. All he does is bury under the moss. He ate the day after we received him from tortoise town, but not again since. We try meal worms dusted with calcium along with kale, canteloupe, apple or strawberry. We pick him up and put him in front of the food, put the hiding enclosure on top of him and leave. We know the worms are going uneaten because they shrivel up from the lights and die. What should I do? Is it normal he buries ALL THE TIME and doesn't eat at all? We see videos of these turtles the same age online and they are active and playful. My son is so worried his doesn't behave like this.

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Its not unusual for a young (or old) box turtle to bury itself when confronted with a new environment, so it could just be an adjustment period. Can you post some pictures of your turtle, your turtles enclosure and tell us about your conditions? During the day and night, what is your hot side temp, what is your cool side temp? What is your humidity level? Its very important to keep humidity up to about 80% for very young eastern box turtles. While his health is in question, soak him in warm water (80-85F every day, if you can). Ad some carrot baby food if their health is in question. Young box turtles love food that squirms, keep trying the meal worms in moderation, and add any other moving bugs that you can get your hands on. Pill bugs are usually a big hit with young box turtles. They have a special crunch that seems to set a box turtle off! Earthworms are probably their second favorite food item.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
We have had our 6 month old eastern box turtle for two weeks and he has only eaten one worm the entire time. He is in a Rubbermaid container with moist terrarium moss, a uv light and red light for warmth at night, he has a shallow water bowl, two places to hide, and we have soaked him a few times. All he does is bury under the moss. He ate the day after we received him from tortoise town, but not again since. We try meal worms dusted with calcium along with kale, canteloupe, apple or strawberry. We pick him up and put him in front of the food, put the hiding enclosure on top of him and leave. We know the worms are going uneaten because they shrivel up from the lights and die. What should I do? Is it normal he buries ALL THE TIME and doesn't eat at all? We see videos of these turtles the same age online and they are active and playful. My son is so worried his doesn't behave like this.

Please read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-hatchling-care-sheet.97144/

Right off the bat, here are a few tips. Ditch the red light and start using a Ceramic Heat Emitter. They emit heat but no light. I'd use a uvb fluorescent strip light for the day. Totally normal for them to bury for much of the day. Not normal for him not to be eating. Start soaking him everyday in luke warm water. Make sure your temperature and setup are good by reading the sheet, then come back with any questions you have.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How warm is in under the light? I'm surprised your meal worms are drying up - are you feeding them live? Try skipping the calcium dust to get him started eating.

tiffew

Here are some photos of his habitat and him during a soak. I will take a break with the calcium powder. Yes, the worms are live. How do I test the humidity? We mist the habitat a lot and the moss is not dry. She we dial him daily? Everything I read is conflicting.

IMG_5880.JPG IMG_5879.JPG IMG_5870.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love his shell!

I start out my baby box turtles by feeding them in the soaking water. I buy the little black worms that the pet store sells to feed aquarium fish, and add a pinch of worms to the soaking water every morning. You can also use frozen blood worms. Then step out of the turtle's sight. While he's soaking, I chop up fruit and veg into very, very tiny bites and place a little mound of this on the feeding tile. Then I add a pinch of the worms on top of the food. Place the turtle in front of the food and quickly step out of his sight. Another trick is to place the feeding tile right in front of the mouth of the hiding place so he doesn't have to come out too far and be exposed to the big bad cruel world.

tiffew

Thank you! He is a cutie, isn't he?
How do you know if your turtles are eating the worms or if the worms crawl away when you leave him to eat in privacy?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you! He is a cutie, isn't he?
How do you know if your turtles are eating the worms or if the worms crawl away when you leave him to eat in privacy?

Well, the thawed frozen blood worms are dead, so they're not goin' anywhere! the black worms just stay in a pile all intertwined with each other. I think they normally live in shallow water, so they don't actually crawl away on land.

Chessy

Try putting the blood worms just inside the shelter for him.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Well, the thawed frozen blood worms are dead, so they're not goin' anywhere! the black worms just stay in a pile all intertwined with each other. I think they normally live in shallow water, so they don't actually crawl away on land.
I know!, @cmac3 had a similar hatchling with a "zipper" keel

tiffew

Our little turtle saw the vet on thursday. He said he looks healthy, but pretty thin. He gave us two varieties of Critical Care and instructed me to give him some via syringe every other day. I'm having a heck of a time getting him to open his mouth! I put a little in his soaking water and am hoping some is getting in to him. We tried another worm, a wax worm and he has no interest in those either! I ordered 1/4" meal worms on rainbowmealworms website and hopefully when they come he will eat. I continue to offer pellets, veggies and fruits. He just walks away from all the food! Today he passed feces (at least I think that's the end of his body this came from) that was clear mucous with some sort of beige something inside. It was the most foul smelling thing you could imagine. So I don't know if that kind of stool means he has a parasite or what is going on. We weighed him tonight, 28 grams. I think we will do this daily to see how he's doing. The vet said if he doesn't start eating in 7-10 days he would be willing to do a feeding tube. I'm so nervous. I can't understand why he won't eat. We've tested humidity and it's perfect so is the temperature gradient. Any further tips? Thanks.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
The first several poops in the spring can smell so bad you think there is something wrong. Keep offering some live foods and maybe something like butternut squash. Don't panic, as box turtles can be slow to start.

tiffew

I'm trying so hard not to be panic, but it's been a few weeks of no food and he only weighs 26 grams. We are going to try to open his mouth with a credit card and get some Critical Care in.

Despite warm temps and light could he be trying to hibernate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't put him through the stress of prying his mouth open. Just soak him daily in 50/50 warm water and Gerber strained carrots baby food. leave him in the soaking water for at least a half hour, and longer is better. Use a small enough container that you can fit it back into the enclosure NEXT to (but not right under) the light, to keep it warm. He doesn't need to drink the mixture to get nutrients from it. They absorb a bit through the thin skin on the throat and around the cloaca. You can also add the blood worms or black worms to the baby food water. The main thing is for you to step out of his sight. He probably won't eat if you hover over him. He has to feel safe.

tiffew

Thanks. We have an old baby monitor set up to spy on him so we can watch without being near him. :) the vet said food is critical because he is so young.

We are about to remove the worms from his habitat. How do I know if they've been attacking him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would have seen bloody spots.

tiffew

Yikes. We will examine him carefully once he's done soaking this morning. He might be scared of them.

tiffew

No red wigglers available around here til Thursday :( we did but the baby reptomin food sticks and put four into the water mixed with baby carrot food that he soaked in for 20 min. He was alone, we watched him on the baby monitor. Sadly he didn't eat even one bite or show any interest in the sticks and didn't drink any of the carrot water. He later walked away from red lettuce, a half a wax worm and a raspberry as well. Can't figure out why he has no interest in food. It seems so unnatural!