4'x2' Eclosure for Box Turtle Hatchling

kyleak96

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hi guys,

I am creating a 4'x2' custom enclosure in hopes of housing a box turtle. This enclosure is made of melamine on three sides, and the top and bottom, with a sliding acrylic doors in the front. I have sealed the floor and about 5" up the sides with aquarium safe silicone. The lights, fluorescent for UVB and another fixture for either CHE or basking bulb, are built into the top of the enclosure on the inside.

I have designed this enclosure to be mostly sealed as to keep humidity in, but my question is will this be suitable for a hatchling turtle, or is it too big? I do not currently own the turtle I intend to keep.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Hi guys,

I am creating a 4'x2' custom enclosure in hopes of housing a box turtle. This enclosure is made of melamine on three sides, and the top and bottom, with a sliding acrylic doors in the front. I have sealed the floor and about 5" up the sides with aquarium safe silicone. The lights, fluorescent for UVB and another fixture for either CHE or basking bulb, are built into the top of the enclosure on the inside.

I have designed this enclosure to be mostly sealed as to keep humidity in, but my question is will this be suitable for a hatchling turtle, or is it too big? I do not currently own the turtle I intend to keep.

it will be ok but not for long you will actually need bigger where were you able to find the aquarium safe silicone and what's it called if you don't mind me asking i've been looking for something like that and does it dry clear?

also if you can you should post pictures of the enclosure we all love pictures here

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi guys,

Perfect size for a hatchling and should last for a year or 2.

kyleak96

Seattle, WA
it will be ok but not for long you will actually need bigger where were you able to find the aquarium safe silicone and what's it called if you don't mind me asking i've been looking for something like that and does it dry clear?

also if you can you should post pictures of the enclosure we all love pictures here
Thanks for the response! I plan on upgrading to a large outdoor enclosure once the turtle is of adequate size. As for the silicone, it is Aqueon brand that I found at a local fish store and yes it dries clear.

Will post some pictures a little later today hopefully.

kyleak96

Seattle, WA
I haven't quite finished yet, but here are some pictures. Don't mind the spiral bulb, I took that out of my desk lamp to test the fixture.

1474591096594.jpg 1474591157443.jpg 1474591175913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks great! I really like the looks of it. Are you going to line the bottom with anything?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That might be too big for a hatchling. Baby box turtles are pretty hard to find once they've buried themselves, and you'll be digging it all up every day to find him. I'd just section off about a third of it for him and you can expand as he grows.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That might be too big for a hatchling. Baby box turtles are pretty hard to find once they've buried themselves, and you'll be digging it all up every day to find him. I'd just section off about a third of it for him and you can expand as he grows.
Yvonne why would you have to dig him up everyday?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To place them in front of the food, and to soak them. Some of them are too shy to ever come out to eat or drink.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I never did with these two numb nuts, they always did it on there on. They were lucky if I handled them once a week. I treated them like they were wild, they seemed to know how to do it.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474592491.211434.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
just a question to ponder- will the melamine get soft, due to being moist all the time? I would think melamine would be a bad choice for an enclosure that needs to stay a bit humid..just a thought..

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks! I think I will, but I've been working over some ideas. What are your thoughts on the issue?

Colleen that's my thoughts too ...I would worry about it warping or rotting from the substrate but since it's laminated it could work fine but I would still cover the bottom with a tarp or something similar.

kyleak96

Seattle, WA
just a question to ponder- will the melamine get soft, due to being moist all the time? I would think melamine would be a bad choice for an enclosure that needs to stay a bit humid..just a thought..
I think that's a valid thought, but melamine will hold up quite a bit better than plywood or solid wood. That being the case, the bottom where the substrate is will still be some what of a concern. That's why I sealed the edges, the most vulnerable part, with silicone and I do plan on using some other material on the bottom as well.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I think that's a valid thought, but melamine will hold up quite a bit better than plywood or solid wood. That being the case, the bottom where the substrate is will still be some what of a concern. That's why I sealed the edges, the most vulnerable part, with silicone and I do plan on using some other material on the bottom as well.

I took industrial garbage bags cut to overlapping fit on sides and bottom and glued it down. I never had any leaking issue. The only issue I had was just being careful not to damage it when changing out the substrate. I had 3 yearlings in 4'x4' by 12 inch high treated pine enclosure with about 6 inch of substrate. It worked ok but I would lose a few for a day or so:) The only concern I have and this is just my experience, is air draft can be difficult to control in winter. I had my table about 2 ft off the floor which I feel was still too low. I should of had it up another foot or so to control the cooler air at the surface. Just my assessment. Other that it worked well. Good luck!