3 WOODYS..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've never seen (or heard) woodpeckers around here. Those are very pretty.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
A 'woody' means something else around here, but I suppose a title of "3 Peckers" would have raised even more eyebrows. :p

When I lived in WA all we had were Flicker's. Here in Oregon I don't see woodpeckers or flickers.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
A 'woody' means something else around here, but I suppose a title of "3 Peckers" would have raised even more eyebrows. :p

When I lived in WA all we had were Flicker's. Here in Oregon I don't see woodpeckers or flickers.

by flickers do you mean the 'brown' woodpeckers that are some bit smaller than the "Woody/Pileated" shown here? I like those a lot too!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Have you ever heard one peck on an aluminum pole?
It's hilarious.

Can't say that I have but one thought he heard something in one of the main posts [ 6" x 6" ] that supports the canopy over our front deck... it shook the house!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I've never seen (or heard) woodpeckers around here. Those are very pretty.

actually Yvonne we usually hear them before we see them - they make a loud really high-pitched call kinda sorta similar to a crow.. only 'rapid-fire' / 3 at a time usually!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
by flickers do you mean the 'brown' woodpeckers that are some bit smaller than the "Woody/Pileated" shown here? I like those a lot too!

Here's a Flicker - with suet cage for scale.

Northern%20Flicker%20-%20tigard_9872.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Here's a Flicker - with suet cage for scale.

Northern%20Flicker%20-%20tigard_9872.jpg

Do those have a 'ladder-back' by chance? we have those and what must be a sub-species that's 50% bigger.. but different shades of brown and the red on the males.. really pretty...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do those have a 'ladder-back' by chance? we have those and what must be a sub-species that's 50% bigger.. but different shades of brown and the red on the males.. really pretty...
The ones pictured are the Pileated Wood Pecker.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
huge too ... the idea of this post is seeing 3 at one time.. especially one on the ground!
That is probably pretty rare. The most I've seen at once was two. They used to have one that was really old looking and very big, bigger then any other we had seen before or since. That was quite a few years ago. Seen him for about 2-3 years and then we figured he died. They are quite prehistoric looking I think and remind me of the cartoon dead on.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@wellington .. the only other time I've seen 3 - the male has the red mustache.. he feeds his female - am thinking that may be their 'boy' below...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wish they would have made some noise. If you can ever catch that, I'd love to hear it. I don't know if I ever heard it. My parents live right next to the woods, so there's always lots of wildlife/bird noises.
They are such cool birds. Your lucky to have them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
We had a few trees cut down so I screwed slabs of bark onto a 2 x 4 I mounted on one of the stumps.. they came...