3 toed box turtle

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Oh......she's gorgeous! :) GOD bless. Take good care of her. ;)

Sorry cannot give you any advise - am no tort expert. :( Hope the "experts will help you soon. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, since you asked...:rolleyes:

I like to use plant saucers. They're easier for a stiff bodied animal to climb into and out of. I sink them down into the substrate so they don't have to climb or reach their neck very far to reach the water.

You should also feed her on a pretty rough surface so she scrapes her beak when she attacks the food. This helps keep the beak trimmed.

She has a nice, bright, alert look on her face. Box turtles are pretty nice little turtles. Very people oriented.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx

I like to use plant saucers. They're easier for a stiff bodied animal to climb into and out of. I sink them down into the substrate so they don't have to climb or reach their neck very far to reach the water.

You should also feed her on a pretty rough surface so she scrapes her beak when she attacks the food. This helps keep the beak trimmed.

She has a nice, bright, alert look on her face. Box turtles are pretty nice little turtles. Very people oriented.
Thanks for the nice reply, I've been trying to find a nice flat rock for her to ear off of but I can't seem to find any and I do have a plant saucer so I'll do that now

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Oh......she's gorgeous! :) GOD bless. Take good care of her. ;)

Sorry cannot give you any advise - am no tort expert. :( Hope the "experts will help you soon. :D
That's ok lol I've had her for 15 years and she was full grown when we got her so I think she's around 25-30 I love her to death she's very friendly, but I think she's going on a hunger strike at the moment

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's ok lol I've had her for 15 years and she was full grown when we got her so I think she's around 25-30 I love her to death she's very friendly, but I think she's going on a hunger strike at the moment
I wonder why. If it' cold back where you live it could be that as torts tend to lose appetite in Winter.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476991587.782363.jpg
She's investigating her new water dish! Thanks for tip

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
she is an indoor turtle but I have a garden box that I let her crawl around in a few times a week from 10am-7pm(not anymore though it's getting to cold)
Ok just checking because she could be slowing down because of winter but if she stays in the house mostly and then I'm not sure. Have you let her hibernate in the 15 years?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
she is an indoor turtle but I have a garden box that I let her crawl around in a few times a week from 10am-7pm(not anymore though it's getting to cold)
I'm in Oklahoma so our weather is a lot alike. I think you can still let her out some, all mine are still out enjoying the Sun

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
no she's never hibernated. Is that bad?
No it's not bad, everyone has different opinions on it. I hibernate all mine except for my hatchlings and yearlings. Seems like she's been fine for a long time not doing it so obviously it hasn't been an issue. The hunger strike just happens sometimes so I wouldn't call it weather related since she hasn't hibernated in at least 15 years that you know of.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
No it's not bad, everyone has different opinions on it. I hibernate all mine except for my hatchlings and yearlings. Seems like she's been fine for a long time not doing it so obviously it hasn't been an issue. The hunger strike just happens sometimes so I wouldn't call it weather related since she hasn't hibernated in at least 15 years that you know of.
I've also never feed her pellets, but at the moment all she wants to eat is blueberries

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Mine love the blueberries! I don't feed my box turtles pellets. I give some to my torts but my turtles all eat fruit, veggies, proteins. Try some boiled or scrambled egg with the shell and another thing is bil-jac frozen dog food.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Mine love the blueberries! I don't feed my box turtles pellets. I give some to my torts but my turtles all eat fruit, veggies, proteins. Try some boiled or scrambled egg with the shell and another thing is bil-jac frozen dog food.
They can eat the shell? that will save me some time, I've never feed her dog food is it good for protein?

Last edited: