3 month olds seem to suddenly stay buried more

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
my 3 Russian hatchlings are behaving differently, staying buried in substrate, eating less.
The only thing that may be different is it is finally warm here in NY, so temps slightly higher in enclosed bin. No more than 5 degrees F.
Cause for concern?? About 1 week of this behavior from all 3.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
This is happening with my hermanns tortoise. Nothing has changed, idk what's going on. If I wake him up then he will eat but otherwise he buries himself most of the day.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
This is happening with my hermanns tortoise. Nothing has changed, idk what's going on. If I wake him up then he will eat but otherwise he buries himself most of the day.
I wonder if this is somehow a seasonal change? Where are you located? Recent outdoor weather change that our guys are picking up on?....

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I wonder if this is somehow a seasonal change? Where are you located? Recent outdoor weather change that our guys are picking up on?....
I'm in England and the weather is really unpredictable at the moment. It will be hot one day and rainy or cold the next.

Spud was like this at the start of winter, too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm in England and the weather is really unpredictable at the moment. It will be hot one day and rainy or cold the next.

Spud was like this at the start of winter, too.
Double check your temperatures. It's very difficult to keep them right when the weather is so variable. It's flipping freezing here (OK not literally) here today.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
It may sound weird but when Spud goes like this, I change his substrate and he seems much happier. The old substrate gets dry and even if I pour water on it, it just doesn't go back to normal.