3 month dalmatians hermanns has pinworms.

EmmaE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
hello, so Mila has pinworms. and a bad case of them too. the vet can't help her until she gets bigger but she is also weak. does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
details: a dalmatians tortoise, a severe case of pinworms, who was hatched 9/25/16, weighs 17 grams, and her carapace is 40 millimeters.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The tricky thing is, if you use a worm-icide then the dead worms can cause their own problem.

If the tortoise is eating and otherwise doing well, I would try to get as much growth as possible into the tortoise.

17 grams seems pretty low weight for that size tortoise.

It seems a bit dire, so for me as a keeper that opens up more edgy responses.

Hydration is important, as always, but more so now.

With much larger fresh imports (two or three pounds) I saw masses of worms in the little fecal I could get and no eating at all. I used caster oil as an oral gavage until the GI was emptied out, very gross looking globs of worms came out, then I followed up with pediolyte type of beverage. And the tortoise began eating a great deal. That way later on I could kill off the worms with the drugs for that purpose. In the mean time there was a much lower worm population in the gut, and the tortoise ate, there was no glut of dead worms in the gut either.

No vet that I have shared this with has agreed this is a good method or endorsed it. However I have not gotten any kind of specific rational to not do this either other than "you are not a vet".

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
The tricky thing is, if you use a worm-icide then the dead worms can cause their own problem.

If the tortoise is eating and otherwise doing well, I would try to get as much growth as possible into the tortoise.

17 grams seems pretty low weight for that size tortoise.

It seems a bit dire, so for me as a keeper that opens up more edgy responses.

Hydration is important, as always, but more so now.

With much larger fresh imports (two or three pounds) I saw masses of worms in the little fecal I could get and no eating at all. I used caster oil as an oral gavage until the GI was emptied out, very gross looking globs of worms came out, then I followed up with pediolyte type of beverage. And the tortoise began eating a great deal. That way later on I could kill off the worms with the drugs for that purpose. In the mean time there was a much lower worm population in the gut, and the tortoise ate, there was no glut of dead worms in the gut either.

No vet that I have shared this with has agreed this is a good method or endorsed it. However I have not gotten any kind of specific rational to not do this either other than "you are not a vet".
although that sounds like it worked and i might use it. she is really small and i am worried about that. the vet said they would start her on medicine if she reached a half pound (225 grams) so we have a long way to go so if she gets worse ill look into this

Kasia

Poland
although that sounds like it worked and i might use it. she is really small and i am worried about that. the vet said they would start her on medicine if she reached a half pound (225 grams) so we have a long way to go so if she gets worse ill look into this
With pinworms there is no way she is going to reach that mark soon (or ever in worst-case scenario). I have mine dewormed when he was 30 grams and not gaining weight. Get other Vets opinion. Give her week if the infestation is not heavy. If she is not gaining weight it's probably due the worms and without medicine she is not going..so probably it is worth trying.