1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

2017 Tortoise Forum Calendar Contest!!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Josh, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Ask questions, share answers, talk torts! TFO Admin

So we're a bit behind schedule, but...It is time for our 7th Annual Tortoise Forum Calendar Photo Contest and the 2017 Edition of the beloved Tortoise Forum Calendar!
    For those who are not familiar with this annual tradition, toward the end of the year we hold a contest where all members are encouraged to submit their best tortoise photo. Then we all vote for our favorites, which are then published in a Tortoise Forum Calendar.

Prizes for ALL 12 WINNERS are provided courtesy of TortoiseSupply.com! That's right, all winning photos will get a prize AND be featured in our calendar! Thank you @TylerStewart and Tortoise Supply!
    [​IMG]

1st Place gets $100 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
    2nd Place gets $50 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
    3rd Place gets $25 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
    4th through 12th Place gets $10 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!

You must have been a member from BEFORE September 1, 2016 to enter this contest.

Please, only ONE entry per household.

Entries should be submitted by Tuesday, October 11 @ 11:59PM PST after which the voting will begin. Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation that your entry has been received and is in an acceptable format. Voting will run from Wednesday, October 12 through Tuesday, October 18th.

The 12 photos with the most votes will be printed in the 2017 Tortoise Forum Calendar along with a collage of ALL of this year's entries. If there is a tie, we will hold a brief tie-breaker contest.

- Your photo must be of a living tortoise, any species will do (turtles are OK, but keep in mind this is Tortoise Forum).

- You must be the sole owner of the photo you submit. Do not submit a photo that belongs to someone else.

- Only one submission per member. Choose your photo carefully - you may not change it once it's submitted.

- The photo original must be at least 5 megapixels, so that it can be printed at an 8.5"x11" size. Your photo will be thrown out if it does not meet this requirement. (To find megapixels, multiply the length of your image, in pixels, by the height. ex. an 2592 x 1936 pixel image is roughly 5 megapixels.) This is important because small digital photos cannot be blown up and still look nice.

(To know the megapixels on any picture or any phone or any camera. Take a random pic using that device, after that using the computer, right click at the pic and search for details, you can see the (pixels) x (pixels) information. If the pic is in the phone, search for the option when the screen showing the picture, heads to details.
    How to know the megapixels, if it shows 1980 x 2561, times it. The result is 5,070,780 which means 5.07MEGAPIXELS. It means the pic is qualified.)

- Please - no photoshopping.

To enter, email your photo to:

josh@tortoiseforum.org

Please use the following format when submitting your photo:

Subject: 2017 Calendar Contest
    Tortoise Name: [Your Tort's Name Here]
    Tortoise Species: [Your Tort's Species Here]
    Taken by: [Your Name Here - be sure you use your TFO ID and then your real name, if you wish]
    [Your Photo Here]

Be sure the entry is the correct 5 megapixel or larger size.

Thanks for your participation and enthusiasm in continuing this great tradition! May the best photos win!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2016
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Because we're starting the contest later than we usually do, we're going to be very strict as far as timing goes. If you follow the rules posted above you shouldn't have any trouble.

If your picture isn't 5 megapixels or larger it will be disqualified. If you can submit a correct sized picture before the deadline we'll accept it, but we will not be moving any of the above deadlines for ANY reason. So follow the rules.

Submit your entries by Tuesday, Oct. 11. That gives you the rest of this week and a couple days next week. We will not be moving that deadline, so get cracking!!

The members will vote when the voting thread is put up on Wed. Oct. 12th, the day after the submission deadline. You will have six days to vote - from Wed. 10/12 to Tues 10/18

Once the voting closes on midnight Pacific time Tues 10/18, we'll tally up the votes and announce the winners.

Pay attention. Follow the rules. Because of the short time frame, we're NOT going to be moving any deadlines, no matter what!
  3. Janelle Green

Janelle Green Active Member

I
    I just entered my photo through my email janellelynnd@yahoo.com and was wondering if everything went through ok?
  4. Kristoff

Kristoff Well-Known Member

A quick question about "photoshopping", @Josh: by this rule, do you mean no retouching at all or no major changes to the original? Just to clarify, I usually bump up the brightness or correct the exposure when necessary. Is that "photoshopping"? Thank you! :)
  5. Yvonne G

I'm pretty sure Josh means changing the picture, like putting a smile on his face or something like that. The changes you make would be ok.
    Kristoff likes this.
  6. Kristoff

Kristoff Well-Known Member

Thanks, Yvonne! Just wanted to make sure. ;)
  7. Yvonne G

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS WHO ENTER THE CONTEST:

You may need to get help from a camera savvy friend because Josh is still getting 0.5mb photos and some smaller :-/

These small pixel photos do not make the cut.
    bouaboua and Fredkas like this.
  8. GingerLove

GingerLove Well-Known Member

Just entered!! Do I still get a chance to vote on others even if I entered?
  9. Speedy-1

Speedy-1 Well-Known Member

If any one might be looking for a free , simple program to work with and re-size photos here is a great one that I have used for years ! Hope this helps ; http://www.irfanview.com/
    Fredkas likes this.
  10. Yvonne G

Yes, everyone is allowed to vote. I think (when the time comes) that Josh allows each member three votes, but you have to take them all at the same time. Once you hit the "post reply" key, you can't access the voting thread to vote anymore.
    ZEROPILOT, Fredkas and GingerLove like this.
  11. GingerLove

GingerLove Well-Known Member

Sounds good! Thanks!
  12. Yvonne G

I use Irfanview too. Love it! But you have to have a camera that takes the correct pixel size pictures to start with. Irfanview can't make more pixels than are already present in the picture. For example, my camera has "12 megapixels" imprinted on it. So any picture I take will be the right size for the contest. If your camera has a smaller number shown on it than the 5 that is required, then you won't be able to submit a picture using that camera.
    Speedy-1 likes this.
  13. Speedy-1

Speedy-1 Well-Known Member

That will probably exclude many cell phone pic's !
  14. MichaelaW

MichaelaW Well-Known Member

Is there a way to know if a photo was accepted?
  15. Yvonne G

When Josh gets the photos he sends a "Thank you" email. If the picture is NOT acceptable he'll let you know.
  16. Ignacio

Ignacio Member

JPGs, TIFF, RAW? or doesn't matter?
    I always shoot RAW so if JPG is required then i need photoshop to convert the file
  17. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

Can't wait to vote. 12th Oct, This waiting is killing me!!! I want to see a lot of nice pic. And i participated too of course :D, can't help it. I encourage members to participate too. It is time to take out one of your hundreds if not thousands pic of your tort.
  18. Yvonne G

I don't think it matters, but lets alert @Josh and ask him.
  19. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    3 votes each?
    Was that in effect last year?
    We had two vote offs.
  20. Yvonne G

Each voter can make three choices. At least that's the way it's been in the past. We'll have to wait until Josh puts up the voting thread to see if that's the way it goes this year.