2 enclosures?

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi all . I was wondering if anyone has 2 enclosures inside for one tortoise. My tortoise enclosure is in my son's bedroom. I was thinking of setting up a second in the living room. He can only be in there while supervised because we have 3 cats. and not chancing them getting in. sorta like a daytime and night time enclosure.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I tried this in the beginning with Max, and I found he didn't like it that much. He always seemed less comfortable in the one where he didn't sleep. Maybe more time would have made a difference, but I just felt like I couldnt really predict where he wanted to be and when and I think it wound up stressing him more than anything. I eventually connected the two together, and then built something bigger all around. What I learned from my experience is that the fact that I thought I needed two enclosures actually meant that deep down I knew the one was too small, and I never really felt better until I went ahead and just built one large one.

If I recall from other posts, you're building an outdoor enclosure too right? I'd just do one in and one out, but that's me.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I tried this in the beginning with Max, and I found he didn't like it that much. He always seemed less comfortable in the one where he didn't sleep. Maybe more time would have made a difference, but I just felt like I couldnt really predict where he wanted to be and when and I think it wound up stressing him more than anything. I eventually connected the two together, and then built something bigger all around. What I learned from my experience is that the fact that I thought I needed two enclosures actually meant that deep down I knew the one was too small, and I never really felt better until I went ahead and just built one large one.

If I recall from other posts, you're building an outdoor enclosure too right? I'd just do one in and one out, but that's me.
yes he will have an outdoor one too. I think i will concentrate on the two I have planned and let him alone in my son's room. it will make me clean my sons room lol .

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Haha, yes! Definitely will save on the cost of double lamps etc., or save on the pain of moving stuff back and forth too.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I only have indoor and outdoor one for each species. Can't tell what will happen if you build a second home for him. And I know too much handling are not so good too.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I only have indoor and outdoor one for each species. Can't tell what will happen if you build a second home for him. And I know too much handling are not so good too.
i may move the enclosure out of my son's room. I will only do one indoor and one outdoors. :) not going to stress him thanks

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
He is lucky you will be so well set up. We went to the pet store back on November 7th for a leopard gecko for my son's birthday and came home with a baby tortoise and everything we thought we needed for one. Thank goodness we came across this site as soon as we did!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
He is lucky you will be so well set up. We went to the pet store back on November 7th for a leopard gecko for my son's birthday and came home with a baby tortoise and everything we thought we needed for one. Thank goodness we came across this site as soon as we did!
i was not set up for my first tortoise . I had things wrong. but i quickly changed it. He ended up having to be put to sleep for liver failure ( not from what I did) he is the one in the pic under my name. I am so glad that I had Tuxy and that he got to spend his last days with us. I have learned so much since then. This forum and all of you guys are great. and I am not one who is afraid to ask questions. BEFORE I do something. I am going to be super aware of everything. That is why I am working with a very good breeder who I talk to almost every day . :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see no reason why the tortoise can't have multiple indoor enclosures. It takes them time to get used to any new enclosure. Indoor started babies eventually get to spend time in their outdoor enclosures. Sure it is stressful being in a new place, but in time they get used to both their indoor AND outdoor enclosures. It makes sense to me they they would also be just fine getting used to two indoor enclosures and an outdoor enclosure. I think having the tortoise in and around human activity is a good thing and while it can be stressful at first, it eventually makes them more desensitized and less sensitive to other changes.

Also remember we are talking about a CB baby here. They are very adaptable.

I like the idea of having multiple options for indoor housing and being able to have the tortoise closer to where you are. In time your tortoise will get comfortable with both indoor enclosures, just like they all do when moved to any new enclosure.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I see no reason why the tortoise can't have multiple indoor enclosures. It takes them time to get used to any new enclosure. Indoor started babies eventually get to spend time in their outdoor enclosures. Sure it is stressful being in a new place, but in time they get used to both their indoor AND outdoor enclosures. It makes sense to me they they would also be just fine getting used to two indoor enclosures and an outdoor enclosure. I think having the tortoise in and around human activity is a good thing and while it can be stressful at first, it eventually makes them more desensitized and less sensitive to other changes.

Also remember we are talking about a CB baby here. They are very adaptable.

I like the idea of having multiple options for indoor housing and being able to have the tortoise closer to where you are. In time your tortoise will get comfortable with both indoor enclosures, just like they all do when moved to any new enclosure.
thanks :) we don't spend time in my son's room. I want to enjoy watching Charlie and making sure he's ok. I think this weekend we will do some thinking about where he will be located. I like him being in my son's room at night because the other animals are not allowed in there. i would only need a night time CHE for warmth in there. The MVB would be in the day time. I gotta really think about this. But I got almost a full month.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
How old is your son? For me I would worry about a fire hazard. Most likely it wouldn't happen but we have had a couple members here have.

I'm so excited for you! I remember the waiting game but it wasn't as long as yours!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
How old is your son? For me I would worry about a fire hazard. Most likely it wouldn't happen but we have had a couple members here have.

I'm so excited for you! I remember the waiting game but it wasn't as long as yours!
my son is 8 . i know the wait is killing me .

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have 2 indoor enclosures per tort and it works out great! They have their main enclosures and then I have 2 -30 gallon fish tanks that I grow weeds mixes in another room. I feed them in their main enclosures and put them in the tanks for about an hour a day just to graze. I have hides in the tanks but they spend most of the time just eating. I built a 6" boarder around the tanks so they can't see out and get stressed. I don't see any issues so far. Maybe you could do something like that for your son's room.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If I had a bigger house I might have more than one indoor enclosure for my tortoise. I don't think it's any different than have an indoor and outdoor enclosure and bringing them in at night or in bad weather. I swear my tortoise knows that I'm taking her outside when the weather is good. She doesn't wiggle or anything until she starts getting near the door and then she goes crazy, "let me out, put me down sunshine!" seems to be what she's saying.

M

Maggie Cummings

Make his indoor habitat a decent sized tort table ;my medium one is 2.5' x 6 '. Give him enough room to walk and pace and play.All my animals also
have an outside pen. But I think one good sized tort table in the house is good enough. Make it pretty and put it in the living room.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi all . I was wondering if anyone has 2 enclosures inside for one tortoise. My tortoise enclosure is in my son's bedroom. I was thinking of setting up a second in the living room. He can only be in there while supervised because we have 3 cats. and not chancing them getting in. sorta like a daytime and night time enclosure.
Did you ever make 2 indoor enclosures? Have you tried making the 2 Indoor enclosure identical.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i may move the enclosure out of my son's room. I will only do one indoor and one outdoors. :) not going to stress him thanks

From reading lots of posts here on the Forum, I've learned that some tortoises do better with changes to their environment than others. Some tortoises like to watch the family and some don't. Some prefer to be in a quiet space while noisy, busy family stuff doesn't seem to bother others.

So the only way to know if two enclosures work for your tortoise is to try it and see.