2 baby tortoises might be sick!

sdebinion

I have two 8 month old sulcata tortoises. Recently, they moved into my new house and I made a tortoise table for them. I have noticed that neither of them have eaten any food. Also, soaking no longer lead to poops like they did in the past. I noticed that their shells are still a tiny bit soft. One more than the other and I am very worried. Their eyes may be the slightest bit puffy and they aren't too groggy or lithargic. I have the basking temp about 95-80 and a uv lamp. Some poop may be stuck in and showing out of the softer shelled tortoise. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or why this has been happening! Please please help!

sdebinion

I have two 8 month old sulcata tortoises. Recently, they moved into my new house and I made a tortoise table for them. I have noticed that neither of them have eaten any food. Also, soaking no longer lead to poops like they did in the past. I noticed that their shells are still a tiny bit soft. One more than the other and I am very worried. Their eyes may be the slightest bit puffy and they aren't too groggy or lithargic. I have the basking temp about 95-80 and a uv lamp. Some poop may be stuck in and showing out of the softer shelled tortoise. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or why this has been happening! Please please help!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What are the 4 temps? Basking, cool side, warm side, and night. I would do daily soaks with baby carrots. What are you using for UV requirements? Their shells shouldn't be getting softer.

sdebinion

Basking is 94, cool side is 79, warm side is 81 and night is 78. F or the uv I am using a zoo med 13w mini compact fluorescent. I just read how coil and cfl's are not good so I will be having to change that tomorrow. And I don't think it's getting softer, i think it never hardened lile it should have.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Basking is 94, cool side is 79, warm side is 81 and night is 78. F or the uv I am using a zoo med 13w mini compact fluorescent. I just read how coil and cfl's are not good so I will be having to change that tomorrow. And I don't think it's getting softer, i think it never hardened lile it should have.

I would raise the basking spot to about 100. Your other temps seem good, however try raising those temps up a little bit until they feel better. Very possible that it's just the bulb. Don't use it anymore and get yourself a MVB powersun or use another alternative. If the shell is not getting harder it's either a lack of calcium in the diet or a lack of UV requirements.

sdebinion

Yeah, I've tried to get it up to 100, i just need to get a higher watage because I have the light about 8 inches from the ground and the temp is still at only about 94 95. I only have a 50w, I will probably go up to a 60w. Also, I ordered some calcuim powder

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

would that 13w compact fluorescent be a coil bulb?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i just looked it up and while it's not a coil bulb that bulb may very well be your problem they're known to cause eye problem's or even blindness if they are continued to be used.

zoo med did say they fixed the problem with them but they never pulled the old ones off the shelf and there's no way of knowing the difference

what is your diet for them and with soft shell it sounds like they need a little natural unfiltered sunlight if the temps permit it just be sure to have shade area ready and available at that young you don't wanna have them out all day give them about a hour a day in a escape proof pen

a dash of calcium once or twice a week would be good to just don't go crazy a light sprinkle is enough once or twice a week

do you have any pictures of the baby's and they're enclosure?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

give Tom's thread on sulcata care a read it'll help you lot's of good looking healthy tortoise's have been raised this way the thread will also point out that a lot of the care knowledge on the internet and pet shops is wrong not all of it but a lot.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Take it eand easy: torts need time to adapt and a very patient owner.

A warm welcome to the forum!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Please post pics of your set up and do you use a mercury vapor bulb? Or what kind of lighting? I'd still soak your torts. Posting pics will help detect the issue. What's your diet like for these guys? There are many people on the forum that can help you out with your sulcatas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I like to use the Mercury Vapor Bulb because you get heat and UVB all in one fixture/bulb. And I use the 100 watt bulb. Then if you provide a few plants throughout the habitat, you can give the baby plenty of shade so he can get out of the lights' strong glare.

You might try separating them. Sulcatas have very strong territorial sense and they really do like to be the king of their territory.

sdebinion

first two pictures are of Dudeson and the last three are of Manson. The third picture is of their enclosure. I have coconut fiber on one half, a tiny bit of sand in one corner and for their food and water small pebbles.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, they'er sick. Get a 100 watt Powersun , no florescent or coil. Soak daily in babyfood carrots.....I'd up all the temps and the soaks and see what happens. Sulcata are bullies so maybe you might want to separate them....keep us posted...

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
They look very dry...try soaking them in carrot juice all natural mixed with water to help stimulate eating as well. Those babies need to have high humidity and their environment looks dry. Do you put calcium on their food or offer a cuttlebone?

sdebinion

Does the 100w Powersun provide the heat and uv or just one?
Also, i have soaked then 2 times a day within the past couple days. I also spray the coconut fiber with water constantly to try and keep it moist and humid. There is a cuttlebone in their enclosure, but I have never seen either one mess with it. I have just ordered calcium powder and will start them on it tomorrow. They just do not even touch their food at all and seem to stay away from their food and water dish completely.

sdebinion

Also, is there any cheaper version on the 100w powersun bulb that will work just as well but may be a little cheaper?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope, they're expensive. But if you can't get the babies out in the real sun, you need the next best thing - an EXPENSIVE UVB bulb.

sdebinion

Alright, thank you! Also, does that power sun provide uvb and heat? Or just the uvb?