1st Baby Redfoot - Sleeping all day in his hide

MissyGru

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hi all! Brand new to the forum and tortoise keeping. Received our first baby redfoot today and it's adorable. My first concern is that the little bugger is sleeping all day in his hide. We plan on turning off the UV/heat lamp at night - how will he get his needed UV? Should I keep taking him out during the day or let him sleep? Will he eventually adapt to our day/night schedule with his sleeping/hiding?

Thanks!
Missy

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Missy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and "the little bugger".:)
Tortoises, particularly small tortoises, are prey animals and he is a little worried that you or something else is going to eat him. They hide a lot when young anyway. he is uncertain if he is encroaching on another's territory and will take time to adjust to his new home. Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat for a few days, either. I was the same, when we moved in here, i hid under the bed for two weeks. After a while, he'll come to see you as the food god and start to explore his new safe home.
He doesn't need the UV light at night,he needs darkness in order to sleep properly, you can get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for nighttime heat, these provide heat but no light.
I would let him sleep if he wants, but take him out to offer food and to soak him for 20 minutes or so, to help keep him hydrated. Use a high sided opaque container filled with warm water up to a level just above where the carapace joins the plastron.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and our Redfoots section for lots of good up to date information.
Enjoy your new family member!

MissyGru

Chicago, IL
Thank you! That makes me feel better. I've already read the beginner mistakes, thank you! You made me think of another question though - I don't have a second lamp for heat at night. I thought if in the house (ours is 73-74 degrees F), household temps were ok. Do I really need the night heat?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Maybe, but a CHE on a thermostat would be safer.
I don't keep redfoots but I understand 80 degrees is ideal with a slight drop, but not more than 5 degrees at night being acceptable.
So, I think your house temp is slightly on the low side, but hopefully somebody with redfoot experience will chip in, or you can post this question on the redfoots section.