18 inch long tortoise species?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This was sent to me as a PM by mistake. The OP would like your input on this question please.

@thepalaeontologicaltort

New Member, Female, 14

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and I would like to ask a question. I would like to buy a tortoise in the near future which is roughly 16-18 inches long but I don't particularly want a leopard because I have read that they don't do too well in the English climate. So I was wondering if anyone could give some suggestions of other species of tortoise which are of a similar size. I originally wanted to get a Sulcata because of their size and their personality but I have since decided that they would get too big for my house and I wouldn't be able to provide a suitable outdoor enclosure (again because of the climate) so I begrudgingly have to rethink a suitable species and I have to keep in mind what would be fair on a tortoise and what wouldn't. So any pointers to a species of a slightly smaller size would be appreciated. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so they want a large tortoise but not Leopard. I'm thinking either marginated or Redfoot. dog eating a red foot in that climate would be a challenge

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi "thepalaeontologicaltort" and welcome to the Forum!

Maybe look into the Marginated tortoise - Testudo marginata

View attachment 164735
I'm with you. One from the testudo family is the easiest to keep over here in the uk.
If its to be a tropical tort a shed conversion will be required IMO.

Southern England
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and I would like to ask a question. I would like to buy a tortoise in the near future which is roughly 16-18 inches long but I don't particularly want a leopard because I have read that they don't do too well in the English climate. So I was wondering if anyone could give some suggestions of other species of tortoise which are of a similar size. I originally wanted to get a Sulcata because of their size and their personality but I have since decided that they would get too big for my house and I wouldn't be able to provide a suitable outdoor enclosure (again because of the climate) so I begrudgingly have to rethink a suitable species and I have to keep in mind what would be fair on a tortoise and what wouldn't. So any pointers to a species of a slightly smaller size would be appreciated. Thanks
(I tried to post this yesterday and I'm not sure if it posted so I'm posting it again just incase):)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot tortoises get from between 12 and 18 inches. I have actually seen some giants at a nursery close to my house.
keep in mind that these are tropical tortoises and will require heat and high humidity. Less heat is required than with a lot of other species, but the humidity part is different. You'll need over 70% and closer to 90%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You might be a good candidate for Manouria. They don't mind cold and clammy so much, and they don't like it hot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. I have a leopard, (approx. 4 yrs old and 11" long at the moment. He was a rescue and they do need higher temps. He lives indoors in a room of his own at the moment, so my bills have shot up!!! Winter food is also an issue because of lack of weeds and being a complete numpty when it comes to growing my own! Costs me about £35+ a month to get a nice varied shop bought diet which isn't ideal and second best to nice fresh weeds. You are very wise to research the different species first!!

Southern England
Thank you for your replies, I will look into the marginated tortoises. I have looked at the red foot and they do look very pretty (especially the cherry heads), but if they need constant humidity then that may not be so easy for me to give them. With the Manouria, they look good, however there isn't anywhere around where I live that are selling them and again they look like they need high humidity. The Marginated tortoises look like that will be the best species for me to keep. I wont be getting a tortoise for at least a few weeks if not more time so I will have a look around for marginated tortoises during that period.
Thank you for your help!

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi and welcome. I hope the tortoise you decide on will bring you many years of enjoyment. There is nothing like a tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Marginated tortoises are awesome. I think one of those will work very well for you when all the factors are considered.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

And good luck, whatever species you choose. Please do not forget to post pics once you get the tort.

Southern England
After doing some more research, red foots don't seem as difficult to look after as I first anticipated. I am more tempted to get a red foot than a marginated, however I don't want to be impulsive.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I think our climates are circa the same.. Think about that you can only keep your tortoise in the outside from April (sometimes may) to the middle of September! The testudo kinds are no problem you can let them outside and they hibernate but leopards or sulcatas you have to keep inside in a big warm enclosure! And Manouria like tom said isn't a opportunity for a newcomer in the tortoise world. Especially if you can't keep them outside all time of the year. You have to build a big warm and wet indoor enclosure.. Only my opinion I think a marginata is the best tortoise to start with!

M

Maggie Cummings

I live in the Pacific North West where we have 7 months of rain snow and just plain ugly. I created a really nice shed for my Sulcata to live in, and have the choice to go out if he wants. Do you have a place where you can build a shed, not a nightbox, but something big enough so if he can't go out that day he would still have room to pace. I think that Sulcata would adjust easier than some other species, and they are more fun than ALL other species.:)

Southern England
I do have room to build a shed in the garden and I would love a sulcata, however I would find it hard to have enough space for one and when they get full grown it would be very difficult for me to transport the sulcata anywhere because of their weight.