Where can I move my Russian tortoise?

Nicholas Mahoney

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I’m in Boston, Massachusetts, currently, where it gets terribly cold. My Russian tortoise does not like this at all and spends most of the days underneath his heat lamp. I am also getting the feeling that he might be stressed, based on all of the hissing he’s been doing. And after a lot of trying to appeal to his needs, I think I just might not be cut out for this.

An area that gets this cold might not be a good place to keep a tortoise as is, and I can’t give him an outdoor enclosure because of that. In general, I just feel like there are people who could take better care of him, and who fully know what they are doing. Meanwhile, if the slightest thing looks off, I immediately assume the worst. That can’t be a healthy mindset to have about this.

To whoever is relatively close by, but has more room to spare than a fairly small singular bedroom and better ways of controlling the environmental conditions, I regretfully offer you this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians brumate in the wild during winter months. When you don't brumate them, like I don't, you have to make sure the enclosure is brightly lit during the day to keep them up.
The temps in the enclosure also need to be right and enclosure size be appropriate.
An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot.
Temps for the day 75-80
Basking temp 95-100
And night temps not lower than 70.
Humidity around 39-50%.
Get these things right and he will be just fine and happy in your area.
Russians are one of the easier and more appropriate for colder areas and for living indoors.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Agreed. Russian torts a very cold hardy. You'll find peace in understanding, don't be too hard on yourself.

Maybe share some images of the enclosure.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I’m in Boston, Massachusetts, currently, where it gets terribly cold. My Russian tortoise does not like this at all and spends most of the days underneath his heat lamp. I am also getting the feeling that he might be stressed, based on all of the hissing he’s been doing. And after a lot of trying to appeal to his needs, I think I just might not be cut out for this.

An area that gets this cold might not be a good place to keep a tortoise as is, and I can’t give him an outdoor enclosure because of that. In general, I just feel like there are people who could take better care of him, and who fully know what they are doing. Meanwhile, if the slightest thing looks off, I immediately assume the worst. That can’t be a healthy mindset to have about this.

To whoever is relatively close by, but has more room to spare than a fairly small singular bedroom and better ways of controlling the environmental conditions, I regretfully offer you this.

If you have the space, then I'd worry less about temperature. I do agree if you are willing/able to brumate him, that may solve some of your concerns. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/

Reactions: Tom

beardedtigger

Winthrop, Massachusetts

If you're looking for a living home for the little guy, I live in Winthrop and I'm looking to provide a home for a Russian. I work a lot, but I live with my elderly parents and they are on board for watching and caring for the little guy during my work days. I recently got together a tortoise table with a Russian in mind.