Watery urates?

meganragland2013

Location (City and/or State)
Conroe, Tx
Hello! I am new to the tortoise world so I have questions. Today I got home and noticed this dried watery white stuff that I assume is urates. It was quite a bit. I have had them for a couple months and haven’t seen it before. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 5D095F21-7DFF-4681-A1E5-32759952DFD5.jpeg
    5D095F21-7DFF-4681-A1E5-32759952DFD5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Urates are common in a lot of species. What you don't want to see is hard or gritty urates. They usually aren't runny, but more like tooth paste. I wouldn't worry and just keep an eye on it for a few days. It could just be cause he had so much of it to expell.
What species do you have?
How big/and age?
How are you housing him? Size of enclosure? Temps, day all over, basking, night?
Substrate?
Humidity?
Diet?
How often do you soak him?

meganragland2013

Conroe, Tx
Urates are common in a lot of species. What you don't want to see is hard or gritty urates. They usually aren't runny, but more like tooth paste. I wouldn't worry and just keep an eye on it for a few days. It could just be cause he had so much of it to expell.
What species do you have?
How big/and age?
How are you housing him? Size of enclosure? Temps, day all over, basking, night?
Substrate?
Humidity?
Diet?
How often do you soak him?
I have a Russian and Greek tortoise (I just recently got them and I just found out they shouldn’t be housed together so I’m currently working on that) one is 13 and one is 6. They are fairly small. 5-8 inches. Their enclosure currently is 4’ x 2’ with a UVB/UVA bulb outside but they don’t have direct sunlight. When temps get low, I have a heat bulb that doesn’t produce light. They are currently on coconut coir and humidity is around 50. They eat lots of greens with carrots, zucchini and squash. Every once in a while, they get a piece of apple, banana, strawberry. They have a dish they can soak in whenever they want.