Tortoise keeps humping rock

fergusaur

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
My male eastern hermann’s tortoise named Hulu has recently started humping this new rock I put into his enclosure. He’s about 2 and half years old (possibly a little older), so I guess he’s finally reaching the age of sexual maturity. I understand that this is natural behavior for him, but I’m wondering if I should remove the rock or not due to fear of him hurting himself. I don’t know the risk of his penis getting inflamed or infected or something due to humping this rock, so I’d like some advice on this matter

Attachments

• IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would remove it, for the reasons you have mentioned and that he could stress himself out trying to hump it all the time. You can try putting it back after spring, like around June and see if he leaves it alone for a while.

fergusaur

Delaware
I would remove it, for the reasons you have mentioned and that he could stress himself out trying to hump it all the time. You can try putting it back after spring, like around June and see if he leaves it alone for a while.
I’m assuming spring is mating season for tortoises then?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Happy Birthday.
Yes, spring is one of the times. Not that they won't mate thru the summer but spring and fall seems to be the "seasons" more then other times.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Happy birthday.