Please help me with my russian tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Evansville, IN
I just got him today, and all he does is kick his substrate(cypress) back so he can just lay on the bare enclosure tub (rubber maid),If he's not doing that hes going to one of the corners of the enclosure to try to climb up it? I mean i could set him in the middle of the enclosure and he will go straight for the top right coner, walking right into it trying to climb it i believe? Im not sure why he's doing this, but its all he does...Why is this?

Also I have a water bowl in there but he dosent even go near it, its about 3 inches long and an inch deep .When i got him at the pet store he defacated three times and urinated once while in my hands.. which may mean he recently soaked him self and notices the water, but dosent want any? I feel maybe i need a bigger water container? One more thing... at night time i want to turn his lights out so i can sleep,but i also cannot sleep with out my loud box fan because of having tinnitus in my right ear, so im afraid that he will get too cold? when i turn the lights out and turn the fan on its about 68 degrees F....what should i do? PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks alot guys =]

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Russians seem to do that.. like they are trying to escape. And they will, so be sure he cant climb over. Males tend to do more of that then females.
As for the light, its best to turn off at night, but he will still need a heat source . You can use a red light, as they cant tend to see the red or a ceramic het emitter. but be careful which type. I think there is a thread as to which ones to avoid.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,

He needs a little time so settle in. I would get a different substrate such as 50:50 top soil and sand, have it deep so he can dig into it. Does he have a hide or something he can go under? I think the night temp is fine without the extra heat. But I don't have Russian, so others might say otherwise. You might need extra heat in winter. I don't know how big your tortoise is, but I would get a water dish bigger than him so he can go in (but water level should be shallow, up to his chin or so). You can get a lot of great info on this site such as appropriate food for him. Pet stores tend to give wrong advice.. Also, I would take him to a vet to get a check up. He might have parasites. Good luck with your new tort. Do you have a name for him? We love to see pictures.

Em

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
If you could please post a picture of your enclosure, we can give you some ideas. But digging and escape attempts are pretty normal.

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Evansville, IN
hystrix said:
Hi,

He needs a little time so settle in. I would get a different substrate such as 50:50 top soil and sand, have it deep so he can dig into it. Does he have a hide or something he can go under? I think the night temp is fine without the extra heat. But I don't have Russian, so others might say otherwise. You might need extra heat in winter. I don't know how big your tortoise is, but I would get a water dish bigger than him so he can go in (but water level should be shallow, up to his chin or so). You can get a lot of great info on this site such as appropriate food for him. Pet stores tend to give wrong advice.. Also, I would take him to a vet to get a check up. He might have parasites. Good luck with your new tort. Do you have a name for him? We love to see pictures.

Em

yes he has a place to hide when ever he wants to.. its a cardboard box that i cut a hole in, it fits him perfectly=] but when ever he gets in it he trys to do the same thing in one of the corners of the box lol

im going to buy him a way bigger water bowl.. he's about 3.5 inches long, im not sure what sex it is tho, im just going with male, i hope to find out soon, as far as food goes, i went to the grocery store today and bought him/her some fresh kale, collard greens, and carrots

i also have a heating pad for him wich is under the bottom of the container and i think he was sleeping on it when i turned the lights off =]

i was feeding him the first hour after i got him and i made a mistake by feeding him brocoli, soon after i fed him 2 pieces of it (not very big peices) i went to go make sure it was alright for him and i found out that brocoli is bad for them=/ so i wont be feeding him any of that anymore,also when i woke up this morning i turned on his heat and uvb and waited about 20 mins to feed him but he wont eat at all =/ what do you thinks wrong with him? thanks again guys, you people are awesome!

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Evansville, IN
jlyoncc1 said:
If you could please post a picture of your enclosure, we can give you some ideas. But digging and escape attempts are pretty normal.

I will soon be able to post some pics of the enclosure when ever my friend gets over here with his camera =] thanks guys!

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Evansville, IN
chrisknakmuhs said:
I just got him today, and all he does is kick his substrate(cypress) back so he can just lay on the bare enclosure tub (rubber maid),If he's not doing that hes going to one of the corners of the enclosure to try to climb up it? I mean i could set him in the middle of the enclosure and he will go straight for the top right coner, walking right into it trying to climb it i believe? Im not sure why he's doing this, but its all he does...Why is this?

Also I have a water bowl in there but he dosent even go near it, its about 3 inches long and an inch deep .When i got him at the pet store he defacated three times and urinated once while in my hands.. which may mean he recently soaked him self and notices the water, but dosent want any? I feel maybe i need a bigger water container? One more thing... at night time i want to turn his lights out so i can sleep,but i also cannot sleep with out my loud box fan because of having tinnitus in my right ear, so im afraid that he will get too cold? when i turn the lights out and turn the fan on its about 68 degrees F....what should i do? PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks alot guys =]

Man i don't know why he keeps doing this he keeps trying to climb out/escape he wont stop he dosnt even seem to be interested in his food really. please help if you can?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You have to give him time to adapt. Torts can go days without eating. What do you have him in? Can he see out the sides? These are all things that can make a difference.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi, chrisknakmuhs first thing is don't panic. He needs time to settle in. Here is a site that will help you with your Russians needs
http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

As has been said Russians are diggers. I would not have him on a heat pad though. Heat should come from above. If you need to get a ceramic heat emitter. Do you have a UVB light for him during the day?
As Dee has asked is his Rubbermaid Enclosure clear? I hear the Russian I am fostering digging a lot. During the day and at night. Its something they do. Not eating so soon after you brought him home is not unusual. When he urinated and defecated in your hands he was stressed. I would place him in a tub of water (plastic shoe boxes work well-but keep an eye on him so he does not climb out) put tepid water up to his chin and let him soak for about 20 min. Do this 2 to 3 times a week. Change his substrate to either 50:50 top soil and sand or shredded Aspen deep enough for him to cover himself when he digs. Cypress tend to hold a higher humidity and Aspen is easy to see waste and spot clean. Offer him water in a container big enough for him to get his whole self into but no deeper than chin deep.
Feed him what is on the list on the care sheet(direct link to diet) http://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Evansville, IN
Crazy1 said:
Hi, chrisknakmuhs first thing is don't panic. He needs time to settle in. Here is a site that will help you with your Russians needs
http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

As has been said Russians are diggers. I would not have him on a heat pad though. Heat should come from above. If you need to get a ceramic heat emitter Do you have a UVB light for him during the day?
As Dee has asked is his Rubbermaid Enclosure clear? I hear the Russian I am fostering digging a lot. During the day and at night. Its something they do. Not eating so soon after you brought him home is not unusual. When he urinated and defecated in your hands he was stressed. I would place him in a tub of water (plastic shoe boxes work well-but keep an eye on him so he does not climb out) put tepid water up to his chin and let him soak for about 20 min. Do this 2 to 3 times a week. Change his substrate to either 50:50 top soil and sand or shredded Aspen deep enough for him to cover himself when he digs. Offer him water in a container big enough for him to get his whole self into but no deeper than chin deep.
Feed him what is on the list on the care sheet(direct link to diet) http://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

Yes i have a uvb bulb and a heat bulb onall hours of the day until around 11:00 pm (wich is usually around the time i go to sleep)

NO, the container is black and its demensions are 34x 24.

im not too sure what "tepid" means, does it maybe mean room temp?

Now when you say 50:50 top soild and sand... what type of top soil? the kind you would normally use to grow plants? and which do i lay down first?

Yertle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert AZ
I think 50:50 refers to mixing top soil and sand half and half, not layering. And the soil can be the kind to grow plants, just make sure it's organic.

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Evansville, IN
Yertle said:
I think 50:50 refers to mixing top soil and sand half and half, not layering. And the soil can be the kind to grow plants, just make sure it's organic.

ok thank you very much!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
chrisknakmuhs said:
Yes i have a uvb bulb and a heat bulb onall hours of the day until around 11:00 pm (wich is usually around the time i go to sleep)

Now when you say 50:50 top soild and sand... what type of top soil? the kind you would normally use to grow plants? and which do i lay down first?

Ok first, what type and size is your uvb and heat light? What temp is at your substrate? What is the humidity there? Can you post a Pic of the enclosure? The black container is great. What size is your little one again?
Yes, Tepid is about room temp or a little warmer, just don't use it too hot.
As Yertle stated, 50:50 is 50% top soil organic no chemicals like plant food, it should say organic on the bag and 50% play sand. You mix these two together. You could also use shredded Aspen it is easy to see when your little one messes on Aspen.

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Evansville, IN
Crazy1 said:
chrisknakmuhs said:

Ok first, what type and size is your uvb and heat light? What temp is at your substrate? What is the humidity there? Can you post a Pic of the enclosure? The black container is great. What size is your little one again?
Yes, Tepid is about room temp or a little warmer, just don't use it too hot.
As Yertle stated, 50:50 is 50% top soil organic no chemicals like plant food, it should say organic on the bag and 50% play sand. You mix these two together. You could also use shredded Aspen it is easy to see when your little one messes on Aspen.

My tortoise is about 3-3.5 inches long the heat bulb is a 75 watt "Repti glo" and the uvb is a "Repti glo" 10.0 26 watt.

Im not sure how to check the temp on the substrate how could i do that?

I do have a temp guage at the basking spot wich reads 90-95 degrees F.

The hummity is at 60%

I'm thinking about getting some Aspen bedding. Do you think its better than Cypress? and when I do get it, how high up should i fill the enclosure with it?

I will have pics ASAP probably tomorow, when ever my friend comes over with his camera =]

Thanks again man you've helped me alot!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
How high do you have your bulbs above your substrate? If your temp gauge is moveable just move it around your enclosure. Take temps inside his hide, in the cool area you already know what his basking area is and it seems to be a good temp. (IMPO) I prefer Aspen over Cypress for a Russian because Cypress tends to hold in humidity. Aspen is also light colored so you can see messes easier. I would place enough Aspen or whatever substrate deep enough your tort can completely cover himself in then maybe a little more. Have you read the care guide sites I gave you in the other thread it will really help clear some things up for you, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.