Newbie to leopard torts

VantagePoint

I've wanted a tortoise for a long time and finally found a beautiful leopard last weekend at a local reptile expo. He's 6 months old, and everything seems great so far! After reading and searching threw everything for the past few days I'm only left a little confused with one thing - food. At first I found that most people recommend dark leafy greens regularly( I picked up kale,endive,collard greens and radicchio) but now I'm seeing conflicting answers, so what does everyone here feed?

Secondly, how much do I feed? Right now I give him about 1/4 cup, he eats 80% immediately and the rest disappears in the next 4-5 hours. Does that seem right?

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I'm new to leopards as well. I have three hatchlings. I've been varying what I feed them but it consists of spring/herb mix, endive, bok choy, wheat grass, chard (they aren't a huge fan), dandelion, chickweed, sow thistle, mazuri, grassland pellets. I soak the mazuri and grassland pellets. I also have given them the occasional kale. They don't seem to be interested in spinach so I don't offer it except a few leaves of it when I give them spring mix. I also pick up small packets of edible flowers every once in a while. They love them!
Dandelion, sow thistle and chickweed are their favorites aside from the spring mix.
There are some super knowledgable people here that can offer a lot more info than I can. Welcome! Do you have pictures? I'd love to see pictures! :)

Oh, and I don't measure what I feed. I fill their saucer with a heaping pile and let them eat their fill. If they eat most or all of it by late afternoon, I refill the dish. I like for them to have food all the time, even if it's stemy dandelion that they have to work at for the parts they want. I see it as giving them something to do ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few of the diet sheets tell you to feed hay and grasses. Those are directions for older tortoises. Baby tortoises will hardly ever eat hay or grass unless you re-hydrate the hay and cut it up into tiny, tiny pieces. I use Santa Barbara Mix (a pre-packaged salad mixture consisting of endive, escarole and raddiccio) as a base for all my babies' diet. To that I add whatever weeds are available and any leaves off the mulberry tree or grape vine (seasonal). I also add a few re-hydrated pellets of Mazuri Tortoise Diet and Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Mix. I chop it all up and mix it together. If you don't want to chop, you can attach the leaves in a clip to something sturdy in the habitat so they don't move when the baby bites at them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have about 13 leopards and I chop up all the food to make it almost impossible for the torts not to have a mix . And I sprinkle dry food ( like chopped straw ) over it to collect the moisture off the veggies and they seem to last a week longer if cepted in the refridgator .
And good luck with your leopards

VantagePoint

Thanks everyone!
Elohi - I do have some photos and will try to get them up here in a second! Where do you get the editable flowers from?
Mctlong - Is there such a thing as "over feeding", more like do I need to worry about him getting fat?
Yvonne G - I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that Santa Barbra Mix, that would be a lot easier then the huge bunches of each thing taking up most of my veggie drawer in the fridge! I do have the grassland tortoise mix and I try to mix that in, but so far he seems to avoid it!
Grandpa Turtle 144 - thanks for that tip, I'm going to try cutting my hay up more and see if he likes it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Give a s big a variety as possible. Feed so there is some left over even into the next morning. Toms threads for raising a smooth healthy leopard are below in my post. The sulcata threads apply also.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Really nice coloring and he looks healthy. I do see some pyramiding starting though, so you need to keep him humid to help it as he continues to grow. Keep us up to date on your progress.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Agreed a beautiful tort that was previously kept a little dry. Daily soaks and humidity should help all new growth be smooth. I think you have a future knockout on your hands!

VantagePoint

Greg T said:
Really nice coloring and he looks healthy. I do see some pyramiding starting though, so you need to keep him humid to help it as he continues to grow. Keep us up to date on your progress.

I noticed it too. To be honest I know crested geckos, it's what I do, but my husband knew how much I wanted a leopard, he found and bought it for a late Christmas present.( I love turtles/tortoises of all kinds.) I'm really hoping to keep it from progressing any further, he has a humid hide and after some even more extensive research I'm keeping his substrate a little more on the moist side as well. I am truly interested in his well being overall so any tips/help I appreciate 100%.

VantagePoint

diamondbp said:
Agreed a beautiful tort that was previously kept a little dry. Daily soaks and humidity should help all new growth be smooth. I think you have a future knockout on your hands!

Thanks, I'm really hoping so! I do nightly baths, for about 15-20mins, he loves them, it's pretty funny, as soon as I put him in he wags his tail like a puppy(then poops - but it's still cute!)