New member here! Tortoise species identification/gender question

Leerayy12

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
It walked itself over to the basking area this morning, I can move it again and see!
Okay, so I moved it across the tank and it just went directly back to where it was basking directly under the light!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It walked itself over to the basking area this morning, I can move it again and see!
No that's fine. It sounds like he just wants to be there, I would leave him alone. Make sure you soak him a lot so he doesn't get dehydrated but once he gets used to his enclosure he'll explore more.

Remember time moves slowly for tortoises. Every time you make a change they have to go through he process of WHAT THE BEJEEZUS IS THAT??? and then sit with it for a long time until they know it won't kill them.

Leerayy12

AZ
No that's fine. It sounds like he just wants to be there, I would leave him alone. Make sure you soak him a lot so he doesn't get dehydrated but once he gets used to his enclosure he'll explore more.

Remember time moves slowly for tortoises. Every time you make a change they have to go through he process of WHAT THE BEJEEZUS IS THAT??? and then sit with it for a long time until they know it won't kill them.
Thank you for saying that. I feel better. Yeah, I’ve done some drastic changes so that makes sense. Everyday I’ve been trying to get things right so hopefully I won’t have to disturb it anymore. I do morning soaks for an hour with warm water and it seems to like it. I’ve been misting every morning and evening to keep the humidity up. I witnessed it eating yesterday but today not yet. Probably still getting used to things I hope!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you for saying that. I feel better. Yeah, I’ve done some drastic changes so that makes sense. Everyday I’ve been trying to get things right so hopefully I won’t have to disturb it anymore. I do morning soaks for an hour with warm water and it seems to like it. I’ve been misting every morning and evening to keep the humidity up. I witnessed it eating yesterday but today not yet. Probably still getting used to things I hope!
yep it was the same advice someone gave me when I rescued mine. i kept making change hoping he would like it, but they advised me he's not a dog, and does not get excited for every new thing he sees - its the opposite. So just leave him alone until he gets used to it. I would say it took three months before Fezzik began to get comfortable.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so much for your recommendations! I made all of them and hopefully the setup is perfect now🤞🏻
Looks great! Just a few follow-up questions:
1. What temperature/humidity are on display? (I can't see them clearly on photo). You may measure day/night temperatures on the cold side and on the warm side.
2. What UVB light do you use now?

Leerayy12

AZ
Looks great! Just a few follow-up questions:
1. What temperature/humidity are on display? (I can't see them clearly on photo). You may measure day/night temperatures on the cold side and on the warm side.
2. What UVB light do you use now?
The cold side is usually 73-75 and the warm side is 85-95/100 range depending on the time of day. Humidity has been around 75-90% depending on the time of day. In the hide I’m sure it’s around 90%. I bought the zoomed reptisun 10.0.

Leerayy12

AZ
Hi, sorry to bother you again with more questions. So I’ve been soaking everyday for an hour but the tortoise doesn’t move too much during the soak(I put enough water to the bottom shell/head level). I haven’t seen any poop anywhere in the tank.. should I be worried? The tortoise hasn’t ate today and has been basking under the light like usual. Isn’t very active but I know you told me that babies sleep a lot and it’s probably trying to get used to the habitat.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Questions are fine. Feel free to ask any :)
If you keep water shallow and warm (84-90F) during all the soaking, he might not move much, because he is in the comfort zone.

If he doesn't eat or move much, there will be no poop. I'm a bit concerned about him basking all the time. Can you up the temperatures a bit in the cold part (up to 80-82F)? If he won't eat for a couple of days this would be a warning sign (while he is stressed because of changes, he should get some nutrition anyway).

Leerayy12

AZ
Questions are fine. Feel free to ask any :)
If you keep water shallow and warm (84-90F) during all the soaking, he might not move much, because he is in the comfort zone.

If he doesn't eat or move much, there will be no poop. I'm a bit concerned about him basking all the time. Can you up the temperatures a bit in the cold part (up to 80-82F)? If he won't eat for a couple of days this would be a warning sign (while he is stressed because of changes, he should get some nutrition anyway).
Should I make the water less shallow? I was just doing that so the tortoise doesn’t drown. The cold part temps yesterday were around 83-85! Yeah, he has ate a little bit each day since I’ve gotten the right setup but not yesterday or the day before I don’t think. I know the tortoise peed yesterday because I saw clear liquid coming out of that area.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Should I make the water less shallow? I was just doing that so the tortoise doesn’t drown. The cold part temps yesterday were around 83-85! Yeah, he has ate a little bit each day since I’ve gotten the right setup but not yesterday or the day before I don’t think. I know the tortoise peed yesterday because I saw clear liquid coming out of that area.
No, don't make water deeper. Up to a level where bottom and top shell meet is fine and safe.

Keep him warm and hydrated, keep food bowl always full and available during the day. And let's wait a bit more. You may offer him foods he already ate and which are familiar. What's "on the menu" now?

Leerayy12

AZ
No, don't make water deeper. Up to a level where bottom and top shell meet is fine and safe.

Keep him warm and hydrated, keep food bowl always full and available during the day. And let's wait a bit more. You may offer him foods he already ate and which are familiar. What's "on the menu" now?
I tried to make the water deeper just to see and he tried to swim a little but then didn’t really care if he sank :/ every morning it comes out of the hide and goes to the water dish and puts its face in and then sometimes its body, then I take it for its morning soak which it’s in right now. So the only thing I’ve ever seen it eat is the zoomed tortoise pellet, mazurri, Romain, and prickly pear cactus little pieces.. that’s pretty much what I’ve been offering. I tried penstemon, hibiscus, rose but haven’t seen it eat that. It just loves basking but doesn’t move much throughout the day. It’ll go into its water dish after basking at night and that’s the most I’ll see it move.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I tried to make the water deeper just to see and he tried to swim a little but then didn’t really care if he sank :/ every morning it comes out of the hide and goes to the water dish and puts its face in and then sometimes its body, then I take it for its morning soak which it’s in right now. So the only thing I’ve ever seen it eat is the zoomed tortoise pellet, mazurri, Romain, and prickly pear cactus little pieces.. that’s pretty much what I’ve been offering. I tried penstemon, hibiscus, rose but haven’t seen it eat that. It just loves basking but doesn’t move much throughout the day. It’ll go into its water dish after basking at night and that’s the most I’ll see it move.
Sounds not that bad, actually (he eats drinks, poops and tries to stay out of sight).
Penstemon doesn't look like the right food. Can you get him some grocery store greens like endive, arugula, green lettuce or radicchio to try? Maybe there is some mallow growing nearby? Or some dandelion-like plants (thistle, "cat's ears") haven't dried out yet?

Leerayy12

AZ
Sounds not that bad, actually (he eats drinks, poops and tries to stay out of sight).
Penstemon doesn't look like the right food. Can you get him some grocery store greens like endive, arugula, green lettuce or radicchio to try? Maybe there is some mallow growing nearby? Or some dandelion-like plants (thistle, "cat's ears") haven't dried out yet?
Penstemon is a natural plant in AZ that desert tortoises are supposed to like I thought. I tried to buy globe mallow that was my number one plant I wanted to buy for the little tortoise but nowhere has it.. I’ve gone to several places :/ I can go to the grocery store and buy what you suggested, willing to try anything!! Right now the tortoise is walking around in the water so maybe that’s a good sign. I think I’d feel better if it was a little more active and I could find poop😅

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If you find poop in a soaking dish - that's fine.

Penstemon can accumulate selenium from soils, that was the red marker on Tortoise Table, but maybe you are right and it's part of DT natural diet. I'm just not familiar with AZ native plants... I was sure that mallow grows wild there :)

Leerayy12

AZ
If you find poop in a soaking dish - that's fine.

Penstemon can accumulate selenium from soils, that was the red marker on Tortoise Table, but maybe you are right and it's part of DT natural diet. I'm just not familiar with AZ native plants... I was sure that mallow grows wild there :)
Yeah, I wish I could find some globe mallow but I haven’t been able to.. desert tortoises are supposed to love that stuff! I’ll go to the store in a bit and pick up what you suggested :) today a prickly pear cactus bloomed so I cut up a bit of that for it. Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!! I hope it poops in the water dish🤞🏻

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yeah, I wish I could find some globe mallow but I haven’t been able to.. desert tortoises are supposed to love that stuff! I’ll go to the store in a bit and pick up what you suggested :) today a prickly pear cactus bloomed so I cut up a bit of that for it. Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!! I hope it poops in the water dish🤞🏻
It could be not only globe mallow, but common mallow aka "cheeseweed" (malva neglecta) or Malva sylvestris (here is some photos: https://nazinvasiveplants.org/cheeseweed )
Well, I'll keep fingers crossed. Please, keep us updated!