Need Trapping Ideas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ok, so here's the thing. I live about five miles from town on one of the main streets that take Fresnans 'out of town.' People that don' t want their cats anymore take them 'out of town' and drop thiem in my neighborhood. Because I have cats and I always have dry cat food out for my cats, a lot of these strays eventually find their way to my house. What I normally do is chase them off. But if they keep hanging around after a week or so I catch them, take them to the vet and have them spayed or neutered. Then bring them back home and let them go here on my property.

Usually the strays are people oriented and I'm able to just pick them up and crate them, but the latest three are truly feral. Quatro is a big, ugly tom cat. Big head, big jowls,acts like king of the hill. Chases my cats. Fights. Eats his food then chases my cats away and eats theirs. I don't like him. But I'm stuck with him. He's been here since last fall.

Then in January this cute little male kitten, about 6 months old, showed up. Just as wild as can be. Runs and hides as soon as he sees me. But for heaven's sake, Quatro accepts him and lets him eat out of his bowl at the same time he's eating out of it. So Einz is here to stay.

Then last month here comes Zwei, another totally wild cat. He's very young, but not a kitten. I'm going to guess about a year. I've been trying to befriend Einz and Zwei for a few weeks now, and they're still as wild as can be.

So here's my question for you: How am I going to catch these wild cats without catching my own cats? I have several Have-a-heart traps. I have nowhere to lock up my own cats to keep them away from the traps. I can't bring them in the house because my dog chases cats.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I was afraid of that. The two younger ones need to be neutered sooner rather than later!!!!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Yeah, I was afraid of that. The two younger ones need to be neutered sooner rather than later!!!!
We live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, or at least that's where your headed if your by our place and people leave animals out here all the time. What in the Hell are they thinking? "Our last family trip to the Desert we saw so many Dogs/Cats" ....... Uhhh NO. Dogs or cats don't live here, just blows me away.
Your going to need more traps, contact SPCA and see if they will bring you some. You need to put out as many traps as cats, catch em all. Then release yours and do what ya wish with the others.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, or at least that's where your headed if your by our place and people leave animals out here all the time. What in the Hell are they thinking? "Our last family trip to the Desert we saw so many Dogs/Cats" ....... Uhhh NO. Dogs or cats don't live here, just blows me away.
Your going to need more traps, contact SPCA and see if they will bring you some. You need to put out as many traps as cats, catch em all. Then release yours and do what ya wish with the others.
That's a thought. I'll turn it over for a while and see if I like it