Hi, I'm researching!

EmCharles

Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham
Hi all!
Me and my partner are looking at getting a tortoise in the next year or so. I've joined this site to learn more about appropriate care and current knowledge of tortoises. I'm an animal scientist, but this is will be my first time caring for any reptile.
I'm very interested in Hermanns, as they are sub tropical, plus a better size for us. We are in the UK, so I feel this is a more appropriate species.
My main questions are;
- Where should I look for supplies?
I want a good sized enclosure.
- What plants do people grow for tortoises in the uk?
-Where can I most ethically/ reliably purchase/ rescue a tortoise here in the UK?
-what do you do with tortoises whilst on holiday?

I'm not in a rush to get a tortoise, I'll be sorting an appropriate supply of food and enclosure first, along with finding a suitable vet ect.
Thank you,
Em :)

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
In terms of indoor plants, spider plant has been great for me here in Finland, imagine it would grow well in the UK as well. Plus the tortoise table has a great plant data base you could look into: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/a-z/?l=al

In terms of a proper sized enclosure, with a adult tortoise I would look into DIY:ing one, since it is going to be some much cheaper + properly sized ready-made-enclosures are hard to find.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello - I lived in Nottingham for several years - in Cinderhill - and have always liked the place. I live in Devon now, and we have a Hermanns tortoise, who is now 23 years old -we have had him from a baby. This forum didn't exist then, and there was very little information about their care, so we probably made many mistakes, but Zola has grown up strong and healthy. I think your choice of a Hermanns is a very good one, going by him, at least - he is bright, lively, and curious, and very friendly - he is a wonderful little companion -he is quite small, and he loves to come out with us in the car, sitting on my lap.
He lives in a large conservatory, which we had built for him - double glazed and heated - and I spend a lot of time there with him - but he also goes out with his dad on long walks by the sea.
We have lots of dandelions in our garden, which he loves, and we tend to buy things like radicchio, watercress, rocket, peashoots,and lambs lettuce from local supermarkets rather than growing them ourselves, I admit.
When we go away, which is very rare, we take him with us - he is happy on my lap for long journeys, and we haven't anyone we could trust to leave him with. But I think some pet shops may have arrangements for this.
I can't really advise you on where to get a tortoise - I would try to find breeders rather than places like Pets at Home.
Angie

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hello - I lived in Nottingham for several years - in Cinderhill - and have always liked the place. I live in Devon now, and we have a Hermanns tortoise, who is now 23 years old -we have had him from a baby. This forum didn't exist then, and there was very little information about their care, so we probably made many mistakes, but Zola has grown up strong and healthy. I think your choice of a Hermanns is a very good one, going by him, at least - he is bright, lively, and curious, and very friendly - he is a wonderful little companion -he is quite small, and he loves to come out with us in the car, sitting on my lap.
He lives in a large conservatory, which we had built for him - double glazed and heated - and I spend a lot of time there with him - but he also goes out with his dad on long walks by the sea.
We have lots of dandelions in our garden, which he loves, and we tend to buy things like radicchio, watercress, rocket, peashoots,and lambs lettuce from local supermarkets rather than growing them ourselves, I admit.
When we go away, which is very rare, we take him with us - he is happy on my lap for long journeys, and we haven't anyone we could trust to leave him with. But I think some pet shops may have arrangements for this.
I can't really advise you on where to get a tortoise - I would try to find breeders rather than places like Pets at Home.
Angie
Watercress is also a great plant to grow seedlings to eat :)