Enriched cuttlefish…?

marbalboy

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas NV
I bought this cheap cuddle fish for birds off Amazon but now I’m questioning whether I should give this to my tortoise because it appears to be enriched with omega-3 vitamin B one. Should I return this for something more….. fully aquatic?

For hatchling Mojave desert tortoise (oh my gosh I just realized in no time I’ll have to switch to yearling)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Both vitamin B1 and Omega-3 fatty acids are not harmful and often found in tortoise foods and supplements. Flaxseed oil is in Mazuri LS and thiamine is in ZooMed Reptile Block, for example.

marbalboy

Las Vegas NV
Both vitamin B1 and Omega-3 fatty acids are not harmful and often found in tortoise foods and supplements. Flaxseed oil is in Mazuri LS and thiamine is in ZooMed Reptile Block, for example.
Thank you very much @Alex and the Redfoot Since you answered (and if you give a mouse a cookie…) , perhaps I can bother you with another question (…it’s going to ask you for a glass of milk). If I put little likes of calcium out, tort will eat them til tort looks like Scarface. Goes bunkers for it. I feel like I give it quite a bit, and so it seems odd that the reason would be a calcium deficiency, however, for that sound like a calcium deficiency or is it just into the taste?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If I get your question right, your tortoise gets all the calcium it can find and asks for more :)
From your past messages, I see that you have a hatchling. They need lots of calcium to support growth. Especially, on nutrition rich diet which promotes fast growth. A few things to check out:
1. The diet should contain enough calcium. E.g. mulberry and hibiscus leaves or opuntia cactus pads have high calcium content.
2. There is enough UVB/heat exposure to synthesize vitamin D3, otherwise calcium is not absorbed.
3. Temperatures aren't exceptionally high for a healthy tortoise (usually around 80F for hatchlings).

Calcium powder should be given only once-twice a week to allow other nutrients to be absorbed. Cuttlebone is not a super efficient calcium source, so it's safe to leave it in the enclosure.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you very much @Alex and the Redfoot Since you answered (and if you give a mouse a cookie…) , perhaps I can bother you with another question (…it’s going to ask you for a glass of milk). If I put little likes of calcium out, tort will eat them til tort looks like Scarface. Goes bunkers for it. I feel like I give it quite a bit, and so it seems odd that the reason would be a calcium deficiency, however, for that sound like a calcium deficiency or is it just into the taste?
LOL my daughter liked that book!🤣