black face

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccschwitzer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, Ca
Hi all!

My hatchling desert tortoise (6 months old) has a black mouth. When he was younger he sometimes ate his poop, but I haven't noticed him doing it anymore (the evidence used to be on his front lefts from manipulating his little snack). Even though i'm rather sure hes no longer eating his feces, he still has a black mouth. his diet consists of mostly spring mix lettuce and occassionally any raw fruit or veggie I'm eating that I share a bite with him. I'm thinking perhaps its just from the purple spring-mix lettuce i've been feeding him that is staining his face? I haven't really seen it in others peoples pictures and I haven't been able to find any information online about it, hoping someone can help me out.

thanks all!

Attachments

• dirty face.jpg
    dirty face.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 50

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
If he is 6 months he is still eating his poop but dont worry it is normal give him a warm soak it might just wash away :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
definitely eating poop and even if you don't see it, the black mouth tells you he is still doing it..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I had something similar happen with my leopards about a year ago. It could be oxidation, probably from a 'wet' diet like feeding it a lot of lettuce and fruits. It isn't harmful to the tortoise, if you let him graze and mix up his diet a bit more it will go away in a few weeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Candace:

When he bites the different lettuces in the spring mix, it leaves lettuce juice around the outside of his mouth. This turns black eventually. I never considered oxidation, but I'll bet that's exactly what it is (thanks, Neal).

Status
Not open for further replies.