Best Hygrometer and Heat Source?

Marci_redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
Maybe it's just bad luck, but it seems like I've gotten nothing but defective hygrometers. The Petco brand hygrometer that I bought would not budge from 50% humidity, even in the shower... clearly broken. I bought a dual therm and humidity gauge that was Zoomed brand and this one only goes up to 70%, even when being held directly over my humidifier for 15 minutes. Does anyone know of a better brand/model? I need to know that I'm keeping my little Marci moist enough.

Also, I'm thinking about getting an additional heat source for her larger (8x4) enclosure. She currently has a 75 watt basking lamp that has been okay for her smaller setup, but does anyone have any suggestions for additional heat sources? I'm thinking of buying a CHE, but I'm not sure what wattage (volts?) should be used for an enclosure of this size.

Please help, thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look at Home Depot, or a hardware store for your thermometer/humidity gauges. I also search on line. Mine was around 60.00 something. It has two censors that I put out in my shed and the base in my house. It reads temp and humidity. Sorry, I don't know,the name of it and the base that's in my house only says RC. But there are lots of them, some cheaper some more expensive. I would buy a 150? Watt CHE, I think that's the wattage. There is a,larger one, but it might be too much.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also use a Home Depot digital type. I regularly have readings over 90%. It also shows the highest and lowest that it's been. It was less than $20. (No sensors on my model.)

Alaskamike

South Florida
The best temp / humidity brand IMO is Accurite. I got mine at Home Depot. 20$. Remote sensor, very good quality.

leopard777

5 Year Member
i am thinking of ordering acurite model 613 , is it good ?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My accurite was $10 at Home Depot it's called a home comfort meter.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
A big CHE 100watt or larger and hook it up to a thermostat.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

leopard777

5 Year Member
is this the wireless one ? model 611

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 18

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Not sure. This is the one I use in my red foot enclosure. Model 619 I think. You just put the whole thing down at sub straight level.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
$10 and I've seen them at Home Depot Walmart and I think Bass Pro Shop. I use the a wireless similar to the one you picked in my outdoor pen.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I also use a digital one from home depot, it was 10$, I bought two for both ends of my enclosure. I made the mistake of setting it by the water bowl, and it got shoved in, it still works but some of the numbers don't show up completely, Good thing they're cheap and easy to replace. ;)

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I also use a digital one from home depot, it was 10$, I bought two for both ends of my enclosure. I made the mistake of setting it by the water bowl, and it got shoved in, it still works but some of the numbers don't show up completely, Good thing they're cheap and easy to replace. ;)
This is what happened to mine too. I've gone through 2 in two months. No so cheap any more.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
ah , i was gonna get this, model 613 , no external sensor have to put the whole unit into the enclosure ?
Yep. You just drop it in there. May of our members use this same model. It works great for an indoor enclosure. I use the wireless ones with a probe in my outdoor pens.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)